Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog doesn't seem to enjoy walks.

Options
  • 14-07-2011 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

I have two dogs, (1 year old JRT and 5 month old bichon x jrt) .

I walk them both every day, its about a 3 mile / 2.5 mile walk.

The jrt loves her walk, her whole day is a build up to the walk, she knows when its time and gets very impatient if you are a bit late bringing her.

The Bichon x on the other hand is none too enthusiastic about it at all and wouldn't care if you just left him at home.

He is very good on the lead he just doesn't seem to be having any fun and sometimes when you bring out the lead he hides!

At first I thought it was because it was such a long walk for such a young dog. I would pick him up and carry him now and again.

Now his legs are actually longer than the other dog's and he is getting too heavy to be carrying all the time.

I don't think its physical, he has no injuries etc.

What do I do? I don't get it, all my past dogs have loved their walks!:confused: Is he just lazy? Is it the breed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

I dont think its the breed..my nana had one who loved her walks.

Maybe hes just a lazy bones :)

Maybe say it to your vet the next time your there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

3 miles for a five month old?
    Seems to me you are way overdoing it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Taltos wrote: »
    3 miles for a five month old?
    Seems to me you are way overdoing it....

I do carry him for nearly 1/3 of that though. My jrt would run the whole way no bother at 3 months and she was half his size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

I'd say about a 20-30 minute walk would be enough for a 5 month old Bichon X. When they're still growing it's not good to walk them too far, it's meant to be bad for their bones or joints or something, I dunno exactly :)

Some dogs are just lazy too, but it's good to keep encouraging them to go out, even when they don't want to. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I wouldnt worry he is very young. I have a 5 year old beagle who would quite happily lie in her bed all day while we fed her....lazy is not the word. We still make her go for walks but depending on the weather you might have to drag her most of the way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

My understanding is its meant to be 5 mins walk for every month of their age when they are still pups. Regular exercise is good as it helps build muscle mass which can help if problems occur with joints ect as well as stimulation a young pup need but it shouldn't be overdone.

Do you walk the same route all the time? perhaps its something on the walk it doesn't like? Is he different walking on grass to pavement? Or perhaps he's just cottoned onto the fact you'll carry him. If you've had health checks to make sure theres no underlying problem then i try shorter but more regular walks until he gets used to it.

Advertisement