Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA in Humanities/ BA English and History or Open University

Options
  • 14-07-2011 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi Folks,

I know that there has been a lot written about oscail and Open University but i cant seem to find the relevant answers to my questions.

First of all I have recieved a letter for registering in the BA in Humanities but before I hand over the non refundable deposit I just want to get peoples opinions.

Im working in the construction industry for the last ten years (still in full time employment but for how long i dont know)and have a degree from DIT in construction economics. With the downward spiral of the construction industry Im looking to start something new.

I came accross these courses because I have always wanted to teach history for some strange reason so now I have the chance to do a course part time.

Couple of queries.

1. Has anyone started either course in the last few years and how they found them?

2. Would I be better off doing the BA in History and English (I see teaching council only recognises the BA in Humanities)?

3. Open University have a degree in History (again anyone doing it? is it recognised in Ireland by the teaching council?)

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

I see no ones replied to you, so let me help.

Firstly check the Teachnig Council subject guidelines re History post-primary (pg18), you can also find english (pg4).
    http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Registration/General_and_Special_Requirements_for_Degree_Recognition_June2011%2053901607.pdf

The OU is generally grand for both subjects and their courses/materials are highly regarded, but I would suggets you look at Oscail initially. The main reasion being, I dont think OU history modules have too much in terms of Irish history - you need to cover this for TC recognition.

Finally, one subject is going to be limiting in terms of employment, so you should try and aim for two. The TC requires 30% of your degree to be in a subject and it must extend over the three years/levels.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bull McKabe

Just finished the Oscail BA (Hons) Humanities myself this year. Took me four years. History and Sociology. 12 modules @ €825 per module. I notice they have started advertising English and History as a different degree, although its still awarded as a BA Hons Humanities. I presume because its the most marketable for anyone going into teaching. A few on my course were teachers from overseas, and were satisfying the Teaching Council with two modules in irish history (19th and 20thc) and as Mimmi said, OU doesnt cover these

Was going for PGDE here or in UK, til I saw how many thousands of graduates were going for teaching diploma, and how few jobs there are here, esp for history teachers. But classmates have gone this route. I opted to study masters in Heritage Management, so it is transferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I'm looking at doing the same thing as you, OP.

I've always loved both English and History. When I left school I got a degree in Journalism, but I got settled (married & mortgage) quite soon after college and didn't try to break in to journalism as couldn't afford to work for years for practically nothing, which is really the only route in. Instead fell into generic sales roles but it's soul destroying. I really hate the bullsh*t corporate culture. I'm 30 now so have to make a decision, and I want to get into teaching what I love.

Was looking at doing the Oscail course and then the 2 year part time Education diploma, so i'll be in my late 30s by the time I get qualified - scary thought, and a huge commitment!

I think the Teaching Council will recognise the English and History BA, it's just that it's a new course so they probably haven't updated their website. The modules in the two subjects are the exact same as those covered in the Humanities course.

Like you I'm trying to decide whether to do the English / History or the Humanities. For the subject specific requirements you need to have a qualification with 30% or more dedicated to the subject you want to teach - I was thinking of doing something like 5 english modules, 5 history modules, and 2 from philosophy. I'm thinking of doing it this way as there are a couple of modules within history and literature which don't interest me and if you do the specific BA in those subjects you don't get a choice.

Decisions, decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bull McKabe

English and History is not a new course with Oscail, they have been teaching these two subjects for years, the content has not changed since they introduced the 'new' course, and the TC will recognise it as the same. The TC recognises only History, English Lit, and Sociology. CSPE (sociology) is only to Junior cert level.

If you decide to take 4 modules in each one of these, you will then have the option of using any of these three subjects to include in your PGDE.

Also, the more subjects you take (eg philosophy, english lit, history, sociology) the more foundation modules you take, up to a max of four (the first module of each subject is the 'foundation' module). These are graded only as pass/fail and do not count towards your final degree grade. Final grade is calculated as the average of your top-four post-foundation modules. If you choose your degree modules carefully, it makes things a lot easier. Let me know if I can help with anything else

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I've completed the BA in History. I found it an enjoyable and professional presented series of courses. However, I was not my aim to make a career from it, so I have not looked into the Teaching Council subject guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭donabate1

just read your opiece on oscail. i have two yrs of three degreewith nuim in theology and sociology. do u think i could transfer on to the BA with my ects credits?
    English and History is not a new course with Oscail, they have been teaching these two subjects for years, the content has not changed since they introduced the 'new' course, and the TC will recognise it as the same. The TC recognises only History, English Lit, and Sociology. CSPE (sociology) is only to Junior cert level.

If you decide to take 4 modules in each one of these, you will then have the option of using any of these three subjects to include in your PGDE.

Also, the more subjects you take (eg philosophy, english lit, history, sociology) the more foundation modules you take, up to a max of four (the first module of each subject is the 'foundation' module). These are graded only as pass/fail and do not count towards your final degree grade. Final grade is calculated as the average of your top-four post-foundation modules. If you choose your degree modules carefully, it makes things a lot easier. Let me know if I can help with anything else

Sorry about badly written previous post. It's 2am, and I am tired. I was considering continuing with my Sociology, and taking on English or History to fulfill remaining modules. What do u think?

I am currently working full - time, so transferring to Oscail would suit me better than remaining at NUIM.

I have two years completed full - time with NUIM, so do u think I could do my last four modules (one year's study) in English or History? or Half Sociology /Half History or Half English? Any knowledge on this would be very beneficial as I do not want to do next year in NUIM., too much hastle /pressure for me.

Advertisement