Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scraps

Options
  • 14-07-2011 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Do you feed your dog any scraps?

Do you think its good for them or bad?

*Its very obvious to me that everyone here loves their dogs, and we all do things differently...So no one is right or wrong here IMO.... Just wondering what you do :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

No never and now they go into their bed instead of staring at us while we eat!

I use chopped up bits of chicken and hotdog for training though but never feed from my plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 greenet

I give mine the scraps but in their own bowls and never from the table!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

TillyGirl wrote: »
    No never and now they go into their bed instead of staring at us while we eat!

I use chopped up bits of chicken and hotdog for training though but never feed from my plate.

Didnt mean from the table.....worded it wrong AGAIN :o I meant food that you eat..

Nothing worse then having big brown eyes staring at you while your having dinner :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Justask wrote: »
    didn't mean from the table.....worded it wrong AGAIN :o I meant food that you eat..

Nothing worse then having big brown eyes staring at you while your having dinner :rolleyes:

OH! They get a tin if sardines once a week usually on a Sunday morning. If we have chicken/salmon left over I'd usually feed them some. They like carrots & apple too. Never give them bread or potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭carleigh

We never feed our Cocker scraps.....unfortunately he is on a very strict diet due to ill health, so he cannot have any red meat of any kind, and he doesnt like veggies! When he was well we would give him left over meat (there would never be too much, as I'm vegetarian!). I've just cooked him his dinner for today, some rice and baked cod mixed with a handful of Burn's mini bites. Its hard trying to vary his meals when all he can have is white fish and chicken/turkey.....poor fella!

• Advertisement

carleigh wrote: »
    We never feed our Cocker scraps.....unfortunately he is on a very strict diet due to ill health, so he cannot have any red meat of any kind, and he doesnt like veggies! When he was well we would give him left over meat (there would never be too much, as I'm vegetarian!). I've just cooked him his dinner for today, some rice and baked cod mixed with a handful of Burn's mini bites. Its hard trying to vary his meals when all he can have is white fish and chicken/turkey.....poor fella!

Ah the poor little dote...I've heard so many people having health problems with their cockers :( I've been blessed with mine

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My dogs get a small bit of everything. (within reason of course) Over time we've developed certain habits, like we never feed them from the kitchen table, but if we're eating outside we'd often throw a scrap or two from the patio table. Which means that they lie at our feet when we eat outside, but go to bed when we eat inside.

I think so long as your dog has enough exercise and you're careful about what scraps you give ie watch the salt content and don't give sugar, avoid toxic food such as grapes - you should be safe enough

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭carleigh

Justask wrote: »
    Ah the poor little dote...I've heard so many people having health problems with their cockers :( I've been blessed with mine

He was 13 a couple of weeks ago, he's suffering from liver cancer and collitis, so anything I can do to make him more comfortable re:eating is a bonus. But he's in good form generally, hoping we'll get another few months with him, fingers crossed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Its a bit difficult to divide any scraps up between our dogs, as we own 10 and there are always fosters here, they wouldn't get much. Usually they are out in the kennels when we have our evening meal, but there is sometimes a dog or two still in the house, that might not be well, or doesn't mix with other dogs, so thats their time in the house, they would get any scraps left over.

I never feed from the table though, if they do get any scraps, they are put on the floor or in a bowl.

I don't see any harm in it, a lot of people are struggling financially at the moment, and I would much rather someone feed their dog scraps to supplement their dog food, than give the dog up because they can't afford to feed it 'proper' dog food. It is one of the main reasons that man and dog have such a long relationship, we would give them the scraps that we wouldn't eat, so they learnt to stick around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I hold all our scraps in a bowl in the fridge and they get mixed in with the main food or maybe a special snack inbetween.
    I have to be careful with our big dogs now as they cannot eat everything any more but our other dogs are like trash cans and would eat the cushions off the chair if they could:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

We have 2 small kids in the house and they generate a lot of left over food! We do the same as ppink and gather it in a bowl and put a little in each bowl with their food. My lot are knackers and can eat anything without getting an upset stomach :D

My lot are knackers and can eat anything without getting an upset stomach :D

LMAO :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

I throw no food out. If I'm peeling carrots they get the skins, if I'm frying an egg they get the oil, if there is a yoghurt on it's sell by date in the fridge they get that!!!
    I deduct the equivalent amount of dried food depending on the amount of scrapes they are getting so they are not over eating. My sister lost her dog to old age last year so she will send over her scraps too, she has 3 kids so there is usually alot of leftovers :)
    The only thing they don't get is bread, I throw that up on top of the shed for the birds, though the dogs will usually sit under the shed waiting for the birds to flick some over the edge for them :D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hmmmmm - I may have to eat my words. Just back from the vet and Harley has a touch of dermatitis. :(:o so I'll have to look at his diet. we're considering switching to raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Yeah... my da eats his dinner on his lap in the living room some times with my lab sitting next to him.. inches from his fork following every move. Its hilarious, scoby bitch she is :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Yeah my dog gets the leftovers from dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Pet food is a relatively new product on the market. When I was a little 'un there was no such thing as dog or cat food and our dogs and cats lived to ripe old ages.

I feed my dogs scraps, no food is wasted here, table scraps to the dogs or if it is fish to the cats, potatoe peelings are boiled and go to the chickens, letfover spuds also, the rabbits get their fair share too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

EGAR wrote: »
    Pet food is a relatively new product on the market. When I was a little 'un there was no such thing as dog or cat food and our dogs and cats lived to ripe old ages.

I feed my dogs scraps, no food is wasted here, table scraps to the dogs or if it is fish to the cats, potatoe peelings are boiled and go to the chickens, letfover spuds also, the rabbits get their fair share too.

Bloody hell... You must spend a fortune at the vets... You should open a petting zoo! :D

I run a rescue and yes, my vet bill is ENORMOUS...

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

jasus where do ya live? pets corner?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

pokertalk wrote: »
    jasus where do ya live? pets corner?:)

Middle of nowhere and no neighbours to complain about the crowing roos either ;)

Middle of nowhere and no neighbours to complain about the crowing roos either ;)
    i was thinking along the lines of an apartment in galway city:D .a 2 bed tho coz ya would need the extra space

Don't think the horses and donkeys as well as Fritzie the Heifer would like it in a two room apartment :D

Don't think the horses and donkeys as well as Fritzie the Heifer would like it in a two room apartment :D
    ye i can imagine ya in the underground carpark 11 pm.....cmon fitzie do your poo:eek:

Some poo that is ;), I'd strain my shoulders if I had to carry that poo bag back home!

Advertisement