Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pitch and putt!

Options
  • 14-07-2011 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭

Can anyone point me towards a good pitch and putt course to take the kids?

Tyty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

There's a very nice course in Tramore if you head out towards Rockett's pub, out near the Metal Man. The holes are not as long as some other courses but it's very well maintained and enjoyable, 5e to play.

The one in Kilbarry is quite good, longer holes than the Tramore course but still a good place to play! And if i recall correctly, it's the only one left in the city nowadays. Unless Otterans is still open? You pay at reception in the RSC and it's 4e to play anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I hadn't realised Kilbarry was still open. Didn't they lose a couple of holes after they built the new stand in the RSC?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Remember playing pitch and putt in Kilbarry for PE.

Those were the days, the days of complete and utter lazyness.

Daysha wrote: »
    I hadn't realised Kilbarry was still open. Didn't they lose a couple of holes after they built the new stand in the RSC?
    Nah, sure theres only one hole near the RSC and thats the one with the stream and briuge next to it. The stream/river is still behind the stand, and the course is at the other side of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Remember playing pitch and putt in Kilbarry for PE.

Those were the days, the days of complete and utter lazyness.

We went Bowling (in the bowling Alley) for our PE!

• Advertisement

We went Bowling (in the bowling Alley) for our PE!
    Same! Alternated between three choices. I picked Bowling, Pitch n Putt, and Road Running. Then told the PE teacher my asthma was acting up, took a shorter route than everyone else and went to lunch early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Daysha wrote: »

They lost 1 hole, I think it was number 7. Now the course has 17 holes, still pretty good though.

Jesus lads none of ye went to Mount Sion anyway, having a choice of pitch and putt or bowling for PE. We didn't do PE for years, then when it was brought in we were thrown a football and let loose on rough tarmac for 45 minutes :D

I went to mount sion :-)

Dan133269 wrote: »
    They lost 1 hole, I think it was number 7. Now the course has 17 holes, still pretty good though.

No when they lost the original 7th (due to the new stand) they laid out a new one, it's quite short and the green really isn't set. However in the last couple of weeks they've redesignated the hole numbers. The old no.8 (the one nearest the RSC where you're hitting over water from the tee) is now the first, the old 9th is now the 2nd and so on and you finish on the crappy hole I spoke about above!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

deise_boi wrote: »
    No when they lost the original 7th (due to the new stand) they laid out a new one, it's quite short and the green really isn't set. However in the last couple of weeks they've redesignated the hole numbers. The old no.8 (the one nearest the RSC where you're hitting over water from the tee) is now the first, the old 9th is now the 2nd and so on and you finish on the crappy hole I spoke about above!

Wow I used to play there almost every week when I was younger. Must dig out the clubs and go down for a look sometime. Will have to bring plenty of balls I reckon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

How does one get into kilbarry now?? From the RSC side or the kingfisher side?? And how much is to play down there now?

Cheers lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

You get in from the RSC side. I think it's something like €4.50 the last time I played. Just be aware they no longer give out clubs there so if you don't have your own you can't play.

I asked the "staff" down there what the story was, as I've been playing there for years and they always gave out clubs, and the guy said that people were robbing them so they don't give them out anymore. It seems implementing a €20 deposit for clubs would be too much work for the staff down there so they just don't bother with clubs anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I went to mount sion :-)
    So did I. We were thrown out in the yard with a football IF we got PE.
    Bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

The only thing with the RSC pitch and putt now is they don't provide clubs anymore. It's a good place to play if you have your own ones though. Tramore is not too bad either if you are playing with kids. You get 2 goes round for a fiver and they provide clubs.

I think we all know where this is going.

The newly announced Annual Boards.ie Waterford Pitch-N'-Putt Tournament!

I think we all know where this is going.

The newly announced Annual Boards.ie Waterford Pitch-N'-Putt Tournament!

I'm up for it!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

That is actually an epic idea Mitch.

Anyone be interested?

ziedth wrote: »

Anyone be interested?

Yeah I wasn't joking like. I'd love to play again! Be a bit of craic like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I would be so up for that.

• Advertisement

Ah christ what have I done....

I'm ****e at it. I wasn't allowed go back because I broke one club, and had to climb a tree to get another back.

In fairness lads...Pitch and Putt has gone to the dogs. Go down to that place on the road to Kennedy park...Par 3 Golf...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

ziedth wrote: »

Anyone be interested?

totally agree
    very interested

ps.
    Tramore sounds the best ie clubs provided ...

I'd be in for that, be a bit of a laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

In fairness lads...Pitch and Putt has gone to the dogs. Go down to that place on the road to Kennedy park...Par 3 Golf...
    Says the highbrowed golfer here :p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

There is a really good par 3 in Carrick but for our first attempt Tramore might be nice and handy.

Sure we can organise it through here handy enough. A weekend I'd imagine would be best right?

Ye feckers...ye highjack my golf idea with your little kids games!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I actually think the Golf idea is great but speaking for myself I've never used any club bigger than a pitching wedge. I'd love to graduate to golf but I'd need to relearn how to hit the ball 20 yards first :).

Tramore is a very nice course too. Very well maintained. The holes are very simple (certainly not as difficult as I remember the RSC to be) but the countless number of balls I lost to the cornfields to the left and right of many of the holes serve as ample warning not to try anything fancy!

I'm in the same position as Admmm.

Just give me a club and I'll be grand. Don't confuse me with golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

johnnykilo wrote: »
    You get in from the RSC side. I think it's something like €4.50 the last time I played. Just be aware they no longer give out clubs there so if you don't have your own you can't play.

I asked the "staff" down there what the story was, as I've been playing there for years and they always gave out clubs, and the guy said that people were robbing them so they don't give them out anymore. It seems implementing a €20 deposit for clubs would be too much work for the staff down there so they just don't bother with clubs anymore.

Great stuff!! Thanks johnnykilo :)

Advertisement