Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly recommendations for the Dodder

Options
  • 14-07-2011 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Been trying fly fishing on the Dodder the last few nights and i'm fairly new to this game - just wondering if anyone has any recommendations in terms of fly types to use?

I'm a bit lost with the whole thing :confused:

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Dry fly suggestions:
    black gnat, white midge, cream/yellow midge, in sizes 16 - 20; and after dark a little red sedge in 14 - 16

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

Many thanks Coolwings...I'll get some in southside angling on the way home and try them out tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I have been having sport in the evenings using long line nymphing on the smaller rivers...

Simple setup two beaded nymphs, fished upstream on 2lb leader... short cast....

Using using tiny copper johns and pheasant tails...

[Embedded Image Removed]nymphs_clip_image010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 47 b.w.ollie

one great fly for the Dodder is a''grey duster'' in size 14-16 it imitates most of the olive dun hatches (blue wing, little sky blue/smallspurwing).in smaller sizes18-20 it is a good general midge pattern. other flies (for olive hatches) ''blue upright'', ''blue quill'',''greenwells glory'' 'olive ''shuttlecocks'' 'olive''emergers'' 14-16 sizes. And for the olive 'spinners': ''red spinner'', ''amber spinner''and''pheasant tail'' 14-16 too (pheasant tail is also a good midge imitation in 18-20 sizes) all these are dry flies. and You could try a ''Hairs ear sedge'' as a general sedge pattern. hope this is of some help,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

I've had a lot of success with a balloon caddis in the evenings when the sedges are hatching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 b.w.ollie

sedges have only reappeared on the dodder in the last few years, mostly a small sedge which I cannot Identify, nearest seems to be ''Small Yellow Sedge''(psychomyia pusilla) anyone out there in cyberland who fishes the Dodder got any Ideas?? Hey. Yank in Eire ,that Balloon caddis looks good.. thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Were there many blue winged olive hatches on it this year? I never got down that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

b.w.ollie wrote: »
    one great fly for the Dodder is a''grey duster'',

a must have fly for most rivers, the no 1 dry fly.

Advertisement