Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what flies to use at this time of yr?

Options
  • 14-07-2011 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

going to cloghan lake on sunday, for a bit of C+R fly fishing! what flies would you be using this time of year on a commercial water? it has rainbows and brownies in it, i was there last sept had "some" success:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'm not really sure what the insect population on Cloghan is but you shouldn't be too wrong with the following

Wet/
    some smallish black/olive/brown nymphs, damsel nymph, buzzers, orange or yellow booby and if there's any fry in the lake- Alexandra, fry imitation, Minkie

Dry/
    Klinkhammer, Medium or pale olives, Green Peter, Murrough, some small brown or black flies. (You'll always catch fish on really small black or brown flies, absolute fact!!! )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Daroxtar wrote: »
    (You'll always catch fish on really small black or brown flies, absolute fact!!!
    + 1 Absolutely.
    Green ones ain't too bad either.
    Small flies = BIG FISH , don't let anyone tell you different!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I'm not really sure what the insect population on Cloghan is but you shouldn't be too wrong with the following

Wet/
    some smallish black/olive/brown nymphs, damsel nymph, buzzers, orange or yellow booby and if there's any fry in the lake- Alexandra, fry imitation, Minkie

Dry/
    Klinkhammer, Medium or pale olives, Green Peter, Murrough, some small brown or black flies. (You'll always catch fish on really small black or brown flies, absolute fact!!! )
    invested in a few of those so fingers crossed:)... forecast isnt great but will persevere non the less

Advertisement