Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's on topic?

Options
  • 14-07-2011 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, so we've got a new forum, a fairly blank slate, and a fair bit of interest rolling in behind it (albiet slowly).

Thing is, "robotics" is a fairly wide term for an even wider field, and I specifically left the "what's on topic for here" vague in the charter. But it'd be nice for folks to say where they'd like this forum to go towards. So sing out - what are you thinking when you think of this forum?
    Time to have your say...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 qubix

All of those are on topic for me ..

My interests are in constructing robots. So I would like technical questions regarding mechanics, electronics, programming to be on topic. I have some experience alongs these lines and would be happy to answer questions on such topics when I can, but would like to be able to tap into other peoples knowledge also

Robotics News, breakthroughs are also of interest. Robotics activities in Ireland also.

Robot wars is cool with me , I'm not an autonomous snob :)

Threads about fictional robots fighting other fictional robots isn't really my thing, but maybe it is of interest to others.

How about general electronics projects? Its hard to define what a robot is. Here is something I made for a workshop earlier this year

Is that robot? is that on topic?:confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

When it comes to Robotics, I'd be considerably more concerned with my own areas of knowledge and expertise, such as Electronics, Circuit Board Development and Design, and Software development.

I would have a passing interest in the area of Robot Wars-esque machines. For the simple reason that I would initially develop one controlled through the use of a radio controller, but develop on it further using automation and AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Arduino and control related items
    Drones - semi/or fully autonomous
    Scavengable consumer items for parts (toys with good bits etc.)

I think that a starting point for some will be converting RC to autonomous, but the RC part will be a great intro to the mechanics and basics of control/sensors/power

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

I'm in the "all of the above" brigand. I've just started tinkering with electronics and robots on a small scale so my interests lean towards the practical side at the moment. Not bothered about the distinction between autonomous/RC etc, it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Yep, all of the above. AI is definitely something that is important in conjunction with robotics. I'd like to add animatronics. :p Even if it is basically a mechanical puppet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement