Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling the PRO's! Any of these processes I can disable?

Options
  • 14-07-2011 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm just trying to tidy up my computer a little bit. I'm wondering if there is anything that I can disable here that won't have a knock on effect? There are 2 or 3 that I have underlined that are not a neccesity but I want them enabled myself. Just checking the others.

This is a list of my processes, its fairly short for a 2 year old computer I think.

Untitled.png

This is a list of my services, comes in 2 parts as the screen shot missed 5 or 6 services at the bottom.

Untitled1.png

Untitled2.png

I just removed Microsoft security essentials, was really a resource chugger, going to replace it with Avast, I've been told that uses a lot less. Any thoughts on this ?

Many thanks for all the advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Have a look too at this site. He has great advice on what you can and cant disable under different setups etc...

www.blackviper.com

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

Hamachi seems to be one that you could disable, stopping processes will not prevent them from loading at startup, also what OS is it and how much RAM have you got?
    MSCONFIG to disable startup programmes but be careful

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Thanks, I'll have a browse of that site.

I'm using Windows 7, 64bit. 4GB ram.

I disabled Hamanchi, I'll log on manually when gaming. Any other tips? :)

Thanks very much :)

How much memory is your computer using when it is running with no other programmes running? i.e. just with your desktop on?

Untitled.png

Thats with nothing open, such as games, browser etc.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this thread by the way, appreciate it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

All looks fine vega. I wouldnt worry. You've only 40 processes running.

You're already doing all you can. Here's my image:

167093.jpg

I agree with Cookie, thats fine for 64 bit premium, don't fix it if it ain't broke (-;

Okay folks, thanks for the advice. I'll heed it ! :)

Yeah for the amount of abuse it gets, downloading, gaming, installing and uninstalling crap.. it's still going strong :D

thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

If you want more information on processes and related services I recommend you use Process Explorer (originally developed by Systinternals, now part of Microsoft) instead of task manager. It's free. Google for download link.

Advertisement