Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cave style bullet hell shmups for PS3?

Options
  • 14-07-2011 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any Cave-style bullet hell shoot-em-ups for the PS3? Cheers folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i must be getting old as it took me a good five minutes to understand that post.

Bulletstorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭ondafly

i must be getting old as it took me a good five minutes to understand that post.

Bulletstorm.

or very very young http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoot_%27em_up :pac:

In answer to the OP - I believe there are a few available on the Jap PSN

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,169 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Gundemonium collection on the PSN is probably the most obvious. Three games, but be warned - they make Cave shooters look like a walk in the park :pac: Good fun, but good luck getting past the first level of Hitogata Happa!

Going on to the Japanese PSN store is probably your best bet. There you have access to many PS1 and PC Engine shmups. On the bullet hell side, the glorious DoDonPachi is your friend (and from Cave itself). Plus you have access to the likes of Einhander (one of gaming all time great shmups), G-Darius, R-Type(s) / Delta, Cho Aniki (ahem) and many more. You can get Yen PSN credit on Ebay or Play-asia - might come at a premium, but suddenly you have a huge selection of shmups available to choose from!

There's also a strange but likable twin stick bullet hell shmup on there. I'll see if I can track down the name of it.

Edit: Here ya go:

Definitely a weak console for shmups all in all unless you're willing to go downloadable. Also, if you have a PC with even half decent specs, you owe it to yourself to get Jamestown - easily the best non Cave bullet hell game I've played!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Set yourself up with a japanese account and get some japanese PSN points codes online and there's lots of PS1 shmup games on the japanese store.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Thanks for the replies guys. Didn't know you could still setup a different region ID. Remember going into a couple of game shops and arcades in Tokyo and it was like "The games..... the GAMES!!!!!!"

Will look into setting up a Japanese PSN account. Plus, I've got a decently specced PC so I'll give that an auld go too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,169 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd very much recommend picking up a 360 on the cheap if you can (or don't have one already) just to get your Cave fix. There's already four or five region free Cave titles (plus Death Smiles, which is amazing) plus Rising Star keep taunting us suggesting there's more on the way :) At the price they go for these days, it's definitely the shmup fans console of choice, including all the Treasure games and other excellet shmups from Xbox Live Arcade! Alas Sony are way behind wooing us bullet hell fans.

Advertisement