Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Board Bike Camera.. Ideas

Options
  • 14-07-2011 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭

I am thinkining of making a clip of my route home . Ive tried a handy cam but it was too shaky everytime I hit a rough patch on the road. I had it mounted on the right hand stay half way between the dropout and seat tube.

Do any of yous have any recommendations for a fairly light camera or cameras suitable for a bike..? How would I mount them to give a nice fairly steady picture ?

Thanks in Advance !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

A bargain option would be this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055935996

But you do need to get a memory card for it, too, and if you're particular about video and sound quality you'll need to watch which version you get - but if you're very particular you probably won't be buying one anyway :)

See here regarding the different models http://www.chucklohr.com/808/

It's very small and light so you can mount it easily on the handlebars using a bike-light mount and some elastic bands etc. You could probably attach it to a helmet fairly easily as well.

The more pricey options seem to be stuff like the GoPro, but I've never used one of those so I'll leave it for someone else to comment.

http://gopro.com/products/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

A bargain option would be this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055935996

But you do need to get a memory card for it, too, and if you're particular about video and sound quality you'll need to watch which version you get - but if you're very particular you probably won't be buying one anyway :)

See here regarding the different models http://www.chucklohr.com/808/

It's very small and light so you can mount it easily on the handlebars using a bike-light mount and some elastic bands etc. You could probably attach it to a helmet fairly easily as well.

+1
    I have one of these cameras and the quality of the video really is amazing for such a cheap device.
    I've also attached it on to my bike using a bike light mount and some duct tape. And to my helmet too.
    It's well worth a purchase imo before you buy any expensive cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

I have a spare one of the key-fob cameras (and a 4 gig sd card somewhere) if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Yi Harr wrote: »
    I have a spare one of the key-fob cameras (and a 4 gig sd card somewhere) if you're interested.

second in line to make an offer (if you post a bit more info on the model) if the OP doesn't take you up on it.

IIRC the model I have is the old #3 (apparently better quality than the new #3). Comes boxed with cable and instruction leaflet.The sd card is 4 gig (can't remember the write speed).

€10 (excl. postage) for the both??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I tried using a device like this one http://cgi.ebay.ie/Mini-DV-DVR-Sports-Video-Camera-MD80-Spy-Hemlet-TP2-/110714854232?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item19c71e9b58
    (There is a 'real' version of this camera which you can get for more $$$)

The image and sound quality was very impressive, but I dropped the thing on the floor about two days after getting it and a teeny-tiny wire came away from the circuit board and I was not able to even attempt a repair. So, in summary, if they work these cheap knock-off cameras are pretty good for the money, but don't be disappointed if they go splat.

Best bet is to try with an inexpensive model before splashing out on the real deal either way, I reckon.

€10 (excl. postage) for the both??

Sounds fine, I'm Dublin based.

Idleater wrote: »
    Sounds fine, I'm Dublin based.

Groovy, I'm Dublin based too. I will have a root around for the sd card tomorrow.

I will be around the city centre on Saturday if that suits otherwise during the week I'm to be found either in Clonskeagh (day) or Palmerstown (evenings).

Palmerstown (evenings).

I'm in Lucan. Can organise something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Go PRO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

My son has a GoPro.
    It's the mutt's nuts!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

Jaysus Thanks for the offer but you might be better to let Idleater have a shot at it for he is closer to you...!

I have a fare idea what I need now thanks gents ;)

My brother in law is doing some uni project film type thing and wants to film my journey from work ... ! He intends to play around with speeds and stuff....! The reasoning behind it is beyond me... ! He is talking of 3 cameras now... One on the bars facing me ... One on the front fork and one rear ward facing... I dont know either.. but I will go along with it for the craic....!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

If you're looking at minicams like the #3 etc I have a few cycling clips in my blog in the Cycling Training Logs section. I just added a post yesterday so it should be on the front page there. I thought I had a #3 but was told it's an #8 or #9 or something like that. As you'll see, quality is decent enough, although those things create MASSIVE files and audio isn't great when moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Advertisement