Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike for commuting, training, ultimately my first race??

Options
  • 14-07-2011 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi all

I've been lurking about the Boards cycling threads (great info around here!) and going into bicycle shops, now have packs of information but need help with a few decisions...

I'm looking for a bicycle that will suit for a) light commuting b)training, and c) ultimately my first race or even tri within the next year (ran dublin marathon last year, and regularly swim, so it's within realm of possibility). Such a dream all-rounder bike is a lot to ask for, but since I can avail of the b2w scheme I want to get the best that I can. For the last 2 years i regularly did 20-40k on hilly backroads using a rusty 2nd-hand raleigh hybrid :eek: so I can only imagine what having a proper bike with smoothness and speed will be like - really cannot wait! Small caveat is that I had back surgery 3 months ago, but I'm almost back to new now and the doctor recommended cycling as a great way to regain fitness. Having a goal of a race or tri is helping keep me focused as i rehabilitate.

Questions:
    - it was recommended I get a 'good' hybrid (i.e. Trek 7.5fx, Lapierre Shaper) with carbon fork. However I wonder if I will outgrow this in a few months and wish i bought a drop bar, particularly as I get into proper training. Also hybrids are generally heavier than the road bikes, and I have to lug my bike up & down a narrow flight of stairs every day so weight is important. BUT hybrids would give me a better hand position to start out with i.e. reaching brakes & gears, as it will take me some time to adopt to more rounded-back position needed for drop bars.
    - another suggestion was to get a better road bike with drop bar, get it converted to flat handlebars when I buy it, and then in 6-9 months I can convert to drop bars. But not sure how easy this is, or how much it costs to convert back to drop bars.
    - Road bikes suggested by my local bike stores in Galway include Trek Lexa SL/SLS or Lapierre Audacio. Any opinions on these? The shops also sell Giant and Specialized, but I haven't explored these yet. It looks like a lot of you prefer other brands (Focus, Cube, Canyon, Planet-x) and I'm intrigued, but I haven't sen them in local bike shops. Read loads on components i.e. shimano, tiagra, 105 - and benefits of carbon over alu - but these don't mean a lot to me just yet as I'm only starting out.

Any thoughts / help / advice very much appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Don't get a hybrid if you're planning to race. People do triathlons on all sort of snotters but that doesn't mean you should. You can't road race on a hybrid and you won't even be allowed on club training rides.

As for the brands you mentioned...
    - Canyon is internet-only.
    - Planet-X was internet-only but there is no a reseller in Athlone.
    - Focus was internet-only (Wiggle) in the UK but is now stocked in some Irish shops (e.g. Eurocycles).
    - Cube are a normal bike brand sold both online and in stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Racing is the big bit.

I got a 7.5FX on the B2W in time for a local sprint Triathlon last year. Fine, Fine bike. I use it every week for major spins and will have to have it prised out of my grip before I would sell it!

However.

As I got fitter and my rides got faster and longer I began wondering what it's like to spin out on a road bike. The 48/36/26 crank at top end is too slow. I find myself opening up and still have power in the legs going nowhere.

It seems to me the 700x32 mil tyres a tad too wide (though if you're boreen bound most of the time then (imho) safer and more sturdy).

I took a friend on a long spin, his first on a road bike he had borrowed, me on my FX, He burned me and I would consider myself as fit if not fitter (cycling wise at least).

I am doing the tri again this year on the same bike for the lack of financial controller approval to buy a road bike. But I keep wondering :) .....

So I suppose it depends. For general fitness and medium paced spins I'll never trade my FX but at the same time I'd love a road bike to add to the collection for the times when the FX is just not fast enough....

Lumen wrote: »
    Don't get a hybrid if you're planning to race. People do triathlons on all sort of snotters but that doesn't mean you should. You can't road race on a hybrid and you won't even be allowed on club training rides.

As for the brands you mentioned...
    - Canyon is internet-only.
    - Planet-X was internet-only but there is no a reseller in Athlone.
    - Focus was internet-only (Wiggle) in the UK but is now stocked in some Irish shops (e.g. Eurocycles).
    - Cube are a normal bike brand sold both online and in stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Get a road bike (drop bars), you can put a different stem on it if you back dictates a more upright riding position at first. I like flat bars when riding off-road and that's it, I'm even converting my folding bike to drop bars, they're better. If you're going to be racing then it's a no brainer, you need drops. Some people prefer flats to drops for general road riding but they are in the minority.
    Don't buy a flat bar bike and think you can convert to drops, it'll be expensive and usually not a perfect job. Don't get a road bike and convert to flats because although that's cheaper it's still a waste of time.
    Don't buy a flat bar bike unless you've given drops a chance.

The audaccio you mentioned is nice, my girlfriend has a lapierre audaccio 300 and it's a great bike, very stiff and very responsive and a joy to ride all round. However, the components are shimano sora which is decent but you can get similar for less money or a lot nicer for not much more money so some people describe the audaccio as poor value, it's down to your priorities really. I don't know anything about the trek you mentioned so can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cloinsigh

wosheen wrote: »
    Read loads on components i.e. shimano, tiagra, 105 - and benefits of carbon over alu - but these don't mean a lot to me just yet as I'm only starting out.

As you're starting out don't get bogged down by the components. Shimano would be most common with 105 being their mid range and very capable of taking whatever you can throw at it.

Once you get to the point where you think you could go faster with better components think about upgrading then, but for the meantime there's nothing wrong with taigra or sora. A few bike snobs will say that they're not very good but that's just not true. Unless you're buying a bike for €200 the components are generally good these days.

A good frame without too much flex will get you speeding along better than spending an additional €300 on going up one level on the groupset.

As you said, a lot of us on here rave about Focus, Canyon, Planet-x and Cube. They are all great makes with offer better value for money than the bigger brands like Trek IMO. Most of the brands above or online only so a saving is made there by taking out the local bike shop (LBS).

Since you plan on racing it go for drop bars. You'll have all opportunities open to you then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

cloinsigh wrote: »
    there's nothing wrong with taigra or sora.
    I'm not a gear snob, but the thumbshift on sora IS wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Hi all

I've been lurking about the Boards cycling threads (great info around here!) and going into bicycle shops, now have packs of information but need help with a few decisions...

I'm looking for a bicycle that will suit for a) light commuting b)training, and c) ultimately my first race or even tri within the next year (ran dublin marathon last year, and regularly swim, so it's within realm of possibility). Such a dream all-rounder bike is a lot to ask for, but since I can avail of the b2w scheme I want to get the best that I can. For the last 2 years i regularly did 20-40k on hilly backroads using a rusty 2nd-hand raleigh hybrid :eek: so I can only imagine what having a proper bike with smoothness and speed will be like - really cannot wait! Small caveat is that I had back surgery 3 months ago, but I'm almost back to new now and the doctor recommended cycling as a great way to regain fitness. Having a goal of a race or tri is helping keep me focused as i rehabilitate.

Questions:
    - it was recommended I get a 'good' hybrid (i.e. Trek 7.5fx, Lapierre Shaper) with carbon fork. However I wonder if I will outgrow this in a few months and wish i bought a drop bar, particularly as I get into proper training. Also hybrids are generally heavier than the road bikes, and I have to lug my bike up & down a narrow flight of stairs every day so weight is important. BUT hybrids would give me a better hand position to start out with i.e. reaching brakes & gears, as it will take me some time to adopt to more rounded-back position needed for drop bars.
    - another suggestion was to get a better road bike with drop bar, get it converted to flat handlebars when I buy it, and then in 6-9 months I can convert to drop bars. But not sure how easy this is, or how much it costs to convert back to drop bars.
    - Road bikes suggested by my local bike stores in Galway include Trek Lexa SL/SLS or Lapierre Audacio. Any opinions on these? The shops also sell Giant and Specialized, but I haven't explored these yet. It looks like a lot of you prefer other brands (Focus, Cube, Canyon, Planet-x) and I'm intrigued, but I haven't sen them in local bike shops. Read loads on components i.e. shimano, tiagra, 105 - and benefits of carbon over alu - but these don't mean a lot to me just yet as I'm only starting out.

Any thoughts / help / advice very much appreciated!!

Was in same boat as yourself....... I do alot of mountain biking and was looking to get a road bike for fitness. I went with the drop bars (Cube attempt) really nice to ride very responsive......

From the research I did, I think spending too much time worrying about components is a mistake.....do the research and get the best value for the money have to spend......But remember all components will wear out...so it might be better spend money on a good frame etc...

having said all that I do agree that the thumb lever on the Sora is not the best...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭wosheen

Thanks for all the good advice, much appreciated. I'm now well convinced to go for the drop bar road bike!!

I saw a shop just outside galway city does Cube bikes, so having a look at them today. Otherwise I'm narrowing down to Trek Lexa SL/SLX or Lapierre Audacio 300/400. While I saw Focus, Planet-x and other brands online, I think I'd rather get the bike in a local bike shop in terms of trying it out, proper fitting (I hope!!), servicing, etc. in the longer term. I know there's a bit added on for the middle man, but when I become a seasoned pro I'll be more confident in purchasing online :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

You mentioned a Trek Lexa, therefore I am gessing you are female.
    Why don't you have a look at the Dolce bikes from Specialized? I know a few women who use them for racing as well as touring and love them. They are way nicer looking than the Lexa.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gingaling

Otherwise I'm narrowing down to Trek Lexa SL/SLX or Lapierre Audacio 300/400.

I recently bought a Trek Lexa SL in pretty much the same circumstances as you - I was a complete newbie looking to buy a bike I wasn't going to immediately outgrow. By now I've gone on some longer club spins with it and even done a race or two and I'm still very happy with it.

Also, I started on the drop handle bars immediately and really didn't have any problem - even for commuting - I just started slow, and spent an hour or so cycling around my estate to get used to the feel of it before taking to busier roads!

Caroline_ie: Thanks for suggestion. I had kindof bipassed the Specialized bikes, but will give another look. When I mentioned the brand in a local shop, the guy's eyes lit up and he immediately brought me over to a beautiful looking full carbon model which was WAY WAY over my budget, when I said it was over my budget he just brought me right back to the Treks hybrids :rolleyes: .... but I'll investigate again.

Gingaling, glad to hear you're still happy with the Trek SL, it's on the shortlist! The document I have giving the specs doesn't say the weight, do you happen to know off-hand? Also how do you find the components?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Gingaling

Hmm... I don't know the weight off hand and I'd imagine it varies depending on the size. Mine is a 52cm and I certainly find the weight very managable - I have no problem manouevering it into the back of my (tiny) car, for example. I had a 'three-speed' 1950s bike before and its certainly much lighter in comparison.

I'm not really very mechanically minded, but have had no problems to date. The gears shift smoothly and without a bother and the only thing I've changed was replacing the pedals to ones for cleated shoes. The saddle took a while to break in but we got there in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I just thought of something.
    The 2011 Specialized Dolce bikes have a 4 brakes. They added Secondary brake levers you can reach from the top flat bits of the bars so you don't have to stretch to the hoods to reach the other brakes. It also means that you can remove them when you are back to full health.
    You can just about see them on that page.

Thanks for that Caroline_ie, can't see it on the website for some reason, but deifnitely will look into it in the shop - that would be perfect for me, as the only reason I was going to get the flat handlebars was easy reach of brakes/gears til my back is 100%. This would be best of both worlds! Only thing is I read in another post how an owner said her Dolce was very heavy compared to other bikes... haven't seen a spec on the weight but I'll look into it

Right - just back from ANOTHER tour of the LBS's, assuming I'd narrowed it down to 1 or 2, and now totally different ones have come into play! Any thoughts / opinions??!! All are alu with carbon fork...

CUBE Peleton with Tiagra groupset, Easton EA30 wheels. €1,000
    CUBE Attempt with 105 groupset, Fulcrum Racing7 wheels. €1,200
    (i was told 2 cubes have same frame, only difference is components & wheels)
    Trek 2.1 with 105/R-53, Bontrager SSR wheels. €1,250
    Trek 2.3 with 105, Bontrager race wheels. €1,350
    Specialized Allez Comp with 105, Specialized all-condition tyres, €1,350

I looked at the Lexa SL but forget price (didn't write down), and the Spcialized Dolce Comp has 105 and looks great but it's €1,740 :eek: Methinks that's taking the pizz! and didn't get to the shop with Lapierre & Felt.

Thoughts??!! THANKS!

just popped into Halfords as well and my head was turned by a Boardman Road Comp with SRAM apex. €999 and I can get 15% discuout with my Axa plus card.

I thought the decision was meant to get easier, not harder! Although I think I've moved the Lapierre Audacio 400 of the list - just not as good value for money as the others.

SO now it' down to:
    Boardman Road Comp
    Cube Peleton / Attempt
    Trek 2.1 / 2.3
    Specialized Allez Comp

Decisions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

hi wosheen, Im in the same boat as you and have been looking at the KTM 1000 €1000 and KTM 2000 which has full 105's €1250

Hey tech, did you decide on the KTM 1000 or 2000? Look at any other bikes? Don't have KTM in LBSs here so can't compare unfortuantely.

I was back in 1 of the LBS' yesterday and got chatting to yet another salesman. Now Felt F95 on the list too, €990 + 10% discount . Has full 105 components. But I took others off the list: Trek and Specialized, as didn't think they offered same value for money.

Whittling down now to:

1. Boardman Road Comp w/ SRAM: €850 (including 15% discount offered)
    2. Cube Peleton w/ Tiagra: €1,000 (told me they'd do me deal on accessories... )

3. Felt F95 w/105: €891 (including a 10% discount offered)

any advice?!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

I didn't think the Felt F95 came with 105's?

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011/Road/F-Series/F95.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

A dream all rounder you say?

You'll be needing one of these :p:

world

eddiem74 wrote: »
    I didn't think the Felt F95 came with 105's?

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011/Road/F-Series/F95.aspx

No, didn't think so myself, but the one in the LBS had 105. May explain why it's a bit pricier (€990) than other F95s I've seen?? i.e. €800 on eurocycles website, €770 on wiggle... or else sales guy quoted me on the wrong model :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

el tel wrote: »
    A dream all rounder you say?

You'll be needing one of these :p:

world

el tel you're forgetting full mudguards.... a couple of reflectors on the wheels...a pack to hang off the cross bar.... ;)

I should've said earlier, after doing all my research i decided I'll probably use my old banger for commuting until it completely bites the dust, and use the new one for training / racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

bogmanfan wrote: »
    They keep the price down by including microshift shifters. Which are a cheaper 10sp shimano compatible shifter. They get decent reviews but some people are skeptical of them. I don't know if the skepticism is warranted as I have never used them and so have no opinion on them.

No doubt they work fine, it would be just down to feel whether you like them or not.

OK so I'll assume the salesman meant F85 (it was red so must be the 85, and def had 105 not tiagra)

So if it was up to you and you had to pick one of these, which would you choose?

1. Boardman Road Comp w/ SRAM: €850
    2. Cube Peleton w/ Tiagra: €1,000
    3. Felt F85 w/105: €891

I'll test them all again for feel / comfort etc, but opinions valued! Particularly if you have one of these. Have to make final decision by Fri

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

think ill go for strada 2000 and never have to change the bike again ! I;ve looked at the Scott s35 , Cube Pleton, Giant Defy , Trek 1.2, Trek 1.5

Advertisement