Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novice with a shoe/pedal Q

Options
  • 14-07-2011 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭

Guys,

about a month ago I bought myself a roadbike, at the time I got 'strappy pedals' with the bike(wanted to get used to feet being tied in).

Now I think I might be ready for propper cycling shoes (plus it would be a good reason to be able to tell people they cant borrow my bike, a few have asked can they borrow it for up coming events:mad:)

However, I dont want to waltz into a shop asking for pedals and shoes not knowing what's what and just ending up with the most expensive set-up the sales person was able to squeeze into my budget.

so....
    • what options are out there?
    • is there different mechanisms, what works best?
    • do all combinations fit all bikes?
    • what price range would I be looking at? ( I dont even know what budget to allow....I could say my budget is €100 but for all I know that might not even pay for one pedal:confused:)
    • Is there anything I need to look for?
    • Have I missed out any important questions:rolleyes:
    • Finally: as per 'the rules' should I match them to the bike :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Guys,

about a month ago I bought myself a roadbike, at the time I got 'strappy pedals' with the bike(wanted to get used to feet being tied in).

Now I think I might be ready for propper cycling shoes (plus it would be a good reason to be able to tell people they cant borrow my bike, a few have asked can they borrow it for up coming events:mad:)

However, I dont want to waltz into a shop asking for pedals and shoes not knowing what's what and just ending up with the most expensive set-up the sales person was able to squeeze into my budget.

so....
    <snip>..
      • what options are out there?
        - Mountain bike (e.g. SPD) and Road bike (e.g. SPD-SL/Look) systems
      • is there different mechanisms, what works best?
        - Yes Depends on what you want to do. MTB ones typically have a recessed cleat in the sole of the shoe, so it allows you to walk more comfortably than a road shoe. Road cleats tend to be wider to allow more power transfer over a wider range of the foot, they also take a bit more to clip out. MTB pedals tend to be double sided whereas road pedals are usually single sided.
      • do all combinations fit all bikes?
        - Yes
      • what price range would I be looking at? ( I dont even know what budget to allow....I could say my budget is €100 but for all I know that might not even pay for one pedal:confused:)
        Circa 100 euro will get you ballpark into the game. But you will get pedals cheaper online than instore. I would suggest buying or at least trying the shoes on in a shop though, and either buy the shoes there and the pedals online to fit, or both online when you have settled
      • Is there anything I need to look for?
        - Just make sure that the shoes you have will take the cleats for the pedals you get Road cleats take 3 bolts. MTB cleats take 2 bolts. Some shoes only do one or the other, but some can manage both types.
      • Have I missed out any important questions:rolleyes:
        - If you are using them to mainly commute I would suggest MTB ones, since they are double sided they are far easier to clip into initially. Practise in a doorway so you have something to hold onto. Until you get the hang of clipping in and out. E.g. MTB pedals, Road pedals
      • Finally: as per 'the rules' should I match them to the bike :cool:
        - If you have to ask....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

If you're gonna go for mtb pedals/cleats, get mtb shoes too. You can walk fairly normally in them then. Also - (depending on the pedal types) you can pedal easier without being clipped in (eg starting off, or unclipping in advance of stopping) because of the grips on the sole.

I have DHB mtb shoes from Wiggle, no complaints for the price(€40-50?). I use Time ATAC mtb pedals on all my bikes. Have never "gone down with the ship" but thats possibly due to have the knees and ankles of an elephant. Herself tried the Times and came off repeatedly.

I changed her pedals for cheap Shimano SPD mtb (€20-30) pedals from Chain Reaction and no more unclipping woes.

Advertisement