Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Spy!??

Options
  • 14-07-2011 4:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Ok, i do not know if many people have seen this but it caught my eye today, on facebook theres a page/group called "gym spy".. il post its link , but this is what is on the "info page"

"I am the gym spy. for the last year my freind and my self have been training in martial arts gyms all over ireland and making out full reports on,the gym, the instructors and there background for teaching,and the fighters(if any )in said gyms. this is not having a go at any one, this is simply giving out information on the gyms so the people out there can find a good gym to go and train safely and not be ripped off by bogus gyms and instructors that are NOT what they claim to be. now in saying that if the gym, and instructors are what they say they are, we will also tell you just how good they are. the first gyms will be . progresave combat antrim. I F S antrim. and red dragon antrim. watch this space ."

personally i two views, one is that ok fair enough they could be giving good info to people who never done the sport or to people who want to start MMA or BJJ and recommend a good gym for in the persons area, which is good, it spreads the word of good camps/gyms.

But
    secondly how can they compare gyms, every gym is different in its own way, some focus on the different aspects off mma ,maybe one gym is more bjj than boxing or one is more kickboxing than bjj? how can you say a gym is bad because its not like other gyms?.. although it says "this is not having a go at any one" it could also give bad info or harsh criticism to any gym that the "gym spy" visited, because the "gym spy" didnt like the visited gym. Obviously the gym spy is anonymous, but it is there own views posting it up on facebook that could lead to people not to train in a certain gym, which i find very disrespectful.

anyway id like to hear peoples views on this topic :)
    heres the FB link to the GYM SPY

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002648613674

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Seen this myself. The "added me" on facebook even tho im not in Ireland anymore but hey i was nosey and want to see!

Im not sure about it to be honest and i posted on there page to say so.
    I think its very disrespectful and could start alot of bother. I also see it as a bit pointless in a way. In Ireland we are very lucky that we have an online community to find out about MMA. I didnt realise how good that was until i moved away and struggled to find any MMA where i live now. So if you need info on clubs its easily obtainable online.
    I mean if you look at the first three clubs they are "spying" on EFR, IFS, Red Dragon there is lots of info online. Two of those clubs are very long running with a number of succsessful fighters from Amateur to Pro and one is one of the fastest growing new clubs again with a number of highly touted new talent. In my opinion once you look at this all you need to do is go and see what gym you like. The people that want to do MMA in Antrim go to all the clubs and see what they like. Its not unusual for fighters to move clubs in town either. I wouldnt say one was "better" than the other. Just different. Some people fit in better in one place than they do in another.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

For it to have any reasonable respect people would need to know who the lads are, for example are they MMA people, total beginners, part of a team already and potentially knocking opponents.

In theory it's a good idea, other thing is i think it would be fairly obvious if 2 strangers who would have accent in 31 counties in Ireland came and trained 1 day only. Also the expense to travel all over Ireland weekdays as thats when main training happens to do this just does not make it sound realistic at all..

Im still curious to see how it pans out.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

And sure who's going to take note but the people who train already?

Another example of the carping, sniping, piss on others nature of the MMA world in Ireland imo. Even if the intentions are noble, the execution will just lead to bad blood and rumour. We have enough of that he said-she said stuff already.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Does it not say they have been at clubs already?

We did have one Canadian come one time who claimed to be a Pro fighter.

As most of you know a club can be very different on various nights depending on whats on the schedule.

We have a few different instructors doing different things on various nights so it would all depend what they get on certain nights

yea it say's the last year has visited gyms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Seems very odd indeed.

How would someone fund such an effort? I smell a rat

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Yeah seems weird. It'd be different if it was a legitimate website/magazine doing a full review of gyms but just a couple of lads doing it for the craic??
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to what they say in the reviews anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 K.Byrne_BJJ

I think its very disrespectful and could start alot of bother. I also see it as a bit pointless in a way.

i agree it could start a bit of bother and could be completely pointless and it is disrespectful to any coach to hear that a random lad made out a report about there gym based on one training session and now is not recommending that gym by putting it on facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 K.Byrne_BJJ

cowzerp wrote: »
    For it to have any reasonable respect people would need to know who the lads are, for example are they MMA people, total beginners, part of a team already and potentially knocking opponents.

In theory it's a good idea, other thing is i think it would be fairly obvious if 2 strangers who would have accent in 31 counties in Ireland came and trained 1 day only. Also the expense to travel all over Ireland weekdays as thats when main training happens to do this just does not make it sound realistic at all..

Im still curious to see how it pans out.

same here, but like you said people should know if someone is coming and know who they are to make out a report to recommend there club, if it is someone who has feck all experience/or someone who is part of a team trying to spy on fighters and finding out what they are good and bad so the Spy can go to his own club and say whats going down before any fights, if it is anything like that then that is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

So gym spy needs a forum in order for any negative comments to have an impact correct?
    Take away his forum and you take away his power, easily done if everybody defriends him on fb. If nobody is listening then what harm can be done?

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I can understand the desire to be able to speak freely about gyms without fear.... but I think its more important to grow a pair and say what you mean fairly and honestly and then just f*ck the begrudgers.

There are plenty of people here who are recognisable in real life (from Paul Cowzer, Barry, John F, hell... even me) and they manage to put their opinions out there without watering them down and still stand by them.

Besides, who wants to rely on one guys opinion... if someone genuinely wanted to do this it would be better done like MetaCritic for games where thousands of gamers rate the game and it averages out the score... gives a very accurate view generally.
    Taking one persons opinion as gospel for anything is silly especially given the rivalry between clubs here.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

results > opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Am I missing something here? his "reports" comprise of some barely coherent wall posts that offer no real analysis, is there another site with more in dept reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Its fukn ridiculous. All he does is badmouth everything and eveyone.
    And he can't even be bothered to spell the names of each gym properly.

He actually praised 2 out of 3 so far, the gyms would know by the review if he visited, I certainly will know-I'm strangely interested even though probably should not be, human nature I suppose.

Would still like to know the pedigree were been judged by though, or is it novices etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

Just checked out the gym spy facebook page. I don't know if i'll get into trouble for this but, what a big steaming pile of monkey crap. The lads seem to be borderline illiterate/ severely dyslexic (nothing wrong with the second) but they can't even spell coaches names right, which in my book slams whatever credibility (if any) they have.

Could be some lads looking for a row or to damage certain gyms reputations or a dumba$$ prank. Whole thing seems a bit farcical to me. Claiming to be pro boxers & the like

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Next week; SBG, Ryano & Rush.

This should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

Richy06 wrote: »
    Next week; SBG, Ryano & Rush.

This should be interesting.

3 of the most respected and sucessfull clubs in dublin and i hate to say it but i cant wait to read the reviews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Something about this stinks to high heaven.

Is it just me that thinks this is a huge wind-up?
    I reckon it's some kids fooling around. All the crap about fighter poaching and stuff is tailor made to get a rise out of people.
    Who has the time or money to do all this stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Is it just me that thinks this is a huge wind-up?

And people have added these people as 'friends', allowing them access to personal photos and other stuff - get a grip lads!.

Wouldn't touch these guys with the perverbial barge pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Good reports about SBG, Ryano & Rush (copied directly so don't blame me for the atrocious spelling):

SBG:
    SBG gym, has it all.....head coach and coach of the year mr kevanagh, this man has been there done it and has all the T shirts.from karate to kickboxing to what he is best known for BJJ ONCE the only bjj black belt in ireland. (all checked out)

seen him nogi,! just takes what he wants (arm , leg ehatever!)...mma seen him long time ago . not great stand up , but did not need it lol. excellent coach and a nice man with all that , we tip are hats to you ...

instructors mr penderd, great coach for peoplr that have just started mma gives a good all round workout. aisling daly, black belt karate fighter of the year! and a very good womenss classes coach

there are more coaches in this gym in other stiles, all top class ( all check out)

FIGHTERS. all are top class ... some are from other gyms but as far as we can find out came to SBG for better training.... NONE STOLEN FROM OTHER GYMS. this is the best gym in ireland full stop.

Ryano:
    RYANO. again has it all, this is a very close 2nd to sbg. instructors, mr ryan a 4th dan judo player irish champion. bjj black belt and irish fighter all over the world. ( all checked out)

instructors, there are other instructors in this gym ... but mr ryan seems to control all classes . big job!!!!!

fighters. neil seery, john donnelly, karl roach.. do we need say more? all top class . another top gym.

Rush:
    RUSH. a very good gym , this is the sort of gym we love to see, good boxing background.

instrutors, mr cowzer, a very good amature boxer who won loads of titles representing ireland in boxing, and a bjj purple belt .

seen him fight a few years back in the north , real war . this man has a head of stone and very fast hands to match, and a real nice man(all checked out)

MR baily mr mc crory, both bjj blue belts. mr baily a top class pad man with a real positive attitude for getting someone ready for fights(all checked)

fighters .MR COWZER still fights from time to time... the team of fighters are young and all started with mr cowzer ,or the boxing club . NONE ARE STOLEN! all very good and a gym to watch for the future... good gym

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

I would imagine SBG, RYANO and Rush are hugely relieved that the gym spy approves of their academys:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Gorey_R

I have a feeling they haven't been to to the Gorey Dojo of Destruction so i'll do a review for them!

GDD gym...has it all. Few matts on the ground and a punch bag, what more does a gym need.

Head coach mr. gurey...this guy has some awesome rash guards and he can do 100 push ups in a minute(all checked out)

Instructors Sonshine gurey. This guy can do it all. Has the most impressive abs in irish mma. Can climb a 100m rope in 15 secs. (all checked out)

Fighters: none. Still haven't managed to steal any from other gyms!

all checked out. (checked out)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Madman08

Gorey_R wrote: »
    I have a feeling they haven't been to to the Gorey Dojo of Destruction so i'll do a review for them!

GDD gym...has it all. Few matts on the ground and a punch bag, what more does a gym need.

Head coach mr. gurey...this guy has some awesome rash guards and he can do 100 push ups in a minute(all checked out)

Instructors Sonshine gurey. This guy can do it all. Has the most impressive abs in irish mma. Can climb a 100m rope in 15 secs. (all checked out)

Fighters: none. Still haven't managed to steal any from other gyms!

all checked out. (checked out)

Hahahahaha, Brilliant post. (all checked out) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭troygracie

what gyms are next ?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

I dont think we will hear from the Gym Spy again. The Facebook page has gone. I think they took the hint.

I posted on it the other day to say that they never visited us as we would have known, and they obviously based there information on what they seen on the circut and asked would they give some info on themselves-went back in later to see if they replied and it was gone.

They said nice things about me so i guess i know them from the scene and probably speak to them at shows all the time-anyway point been i believe it was made to have a go at ifsni and rest was done to make it seem genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cowzerp wrote: »
    They said nice things about me so i guess i know them from the scene and probably speak to them at shows all the time

DOES - NOT - COMPUTE!.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

"instrutors, mr cowzer, a very good amature boxer who won loads of titles representing ireland in boxing, and a bjj purple belt .

seen him fight a few years back in the north , real war . this man has a head of stone and very fast hands to match, and a real nice man(all checked out)"

Good to see someone checking out Cowzers credentials :)

I've tried reading the reviews (in my head, to myself) in different accents. I think it works best as either Borat or in a chinese accent.

Advertisement