Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will win the 2011 MITB ladder matches?

Options
  • 14-07-2011 3:00am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Isnt it great, probably the most anticipated PPV in a long time and its free on SS not box office, and yes CM Punk in the main event is the big draw for most but having two eight man ladder matches cant hurt either.

This year especially I think it's very open with regards who could win the MITB contracts for Raw & SD. Here are the competitors in each match -

Smackdown
    Kane vs. Sin Cara vs. Daniel Bryan vs. Wade Barrett vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Justin Gabriel vs. Heath Slater vs. Sheamus

Raw
    Rey Mysterio vs. Alberto Del Rio vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Alex Riley vs. R-Truth vs. The Miz vs. Evan Bourne vs. Jack Swagger

My Picks:

Smackdown: I'm going for Wade Barett on SD, He has finally been removed from a faction be it Nexus or the Corre and gotten away from big Zeke and the IC title but he has lost all the momentum he had built up last year as the leader of Nexus vs John Cena. He can cut a great promo and needs something new and imo the MITB contract could be perfect for him.

Other options: Sheamus could win but I dont think he needs it. Bryan would be great but I think he is mostly in there to make everyone look good and maybe help in some spots and speaking of spots Sin Cara would be my dark horse but even with him getting a big HHH assisted push Barett makes more sense to me. Kane, Cody Rhodes, Justin Gabriel & Heath Slater are there just to make up the numbers for me.

Raw:

Again a number of real options here so it isnt as obvious as one might think, but if I have to pick one it would be the man who was no.1 contender for a moment there who will move a bit closer to his destiny by winning MITB. His name is Alberto Del Rio but you already knew that. His star seems to be weigning (def spelt wrong) though so a number of others will be possibilities in peoples eyes such as the crazy as a bag of spiders but o so entertaining R-Truth or one of a very small amount of faces who they seem willing to push hard Alex Riley. However he will probably just continue his Miz storyline and although their are others like Kofi who could really use something to kickstart a much needed push I dont see a winner coming from the others.... of course those who frequent the predictions threads (outside of last months) would know im not usually right (perfect score last time :cool: )

So what about you who do you think will win the contracts ?

Who will win the MITB ladder matches? 98 votes

Sin Cara
    0% 0 votes
    Kofi Kingston
    2% 2 votes
    Alex Riley
    3% 3 votes
    Rey Mysterio
    3% 3 votes
    Evan Bourne
    2% 2 votes
    Heath Slater
    1% 1 vote
    Justin Gabriel
    1% 1 vote
    Kane
    2% 2 votes
    Wade Barett
    1% 1 vote
    Daniel Bryan
    11% 11 votes
    Alberto Del Rio
    4% 4 votes
    The Miz
    33% 33 votes
    Jack Swagger
    3% 3 votes
    Sheamus
    2% 2 votes
    Cody Rhodes
    21% 21 votes
    R-Truth
    9% 9 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

If I were to go with who I think will be booked to win it would be Del Rio and Barrett - and I still think I'd be happy with that but above all I think 1. Del Rio's character doesn't suit the briefcase and what the "contract" means he's more the egomaniac that would just cash in first moment and anything else just won't work with him imo althought I love him so he'd most likely make it work.
    Barrett would rock the **** out of it, but for SD I would give my bollocks to have Cody get it, the guy is realy champ material, but his new character would have so much fun against the new super tedious Orton.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Del Rio is an absolute lock to win the Raw one and may cash it in later on in the night.

Its between Sheamus and Wade for the Smackdown one, everyone else is simply making up the numbers. I think right now Sheamus is a bigger priority than Wade who has been reduced to Superstars action in the last few weeks so expect him to win that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

As I said in the Smackdown thread I hope Sheamus wins the Smackdown one he deserves it but I can see Sin Cara winning it (I can almost see HHH going through the spots in intricate detail with him to make him look as kewl as possible).
    Raw i'm hoping for Del Rio to get a much needed lift after a turbulent year losing to Christian & Edge when it looked like back in January it would be his year. The move to Raw has did him no favours either only competing in entertaining triple threat matches & cutting mainly lame promos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Alberto has been rumoured to face Cena ever since he was drafted. So Alberto.

With Sin Cara and Sheamus seemingly going to work a program together I would have to pick Wade as he is that "type of guy" who wins MITB.

Two heels winning would make sense as
    the idea favoured is for Vince to order the winners to cash night in that so make sure Punk doesnt leave with the belt. Alberto winning that way would set up a Cena match at Summerslam.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i went for wade and alberto!

alberto i think is obvious - mr destiny, current "#1 contender" and if it wasnt for edges retirement he would already have been champion on SD!

I think Wade needs to win the SD one - he does deliver a brilliant promo, now finally away from stables he can be given a proper push again - get away from ahmed big zeke and he will be a star!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Love to see Del Rio win it, but just think the Miz will do it again. The angle with Riley has'nt done him any favours and although he's just main evented 'mania, he's in danger of becoming yet another transitional champ which WWE have had a few of in recent years, don't think they've given up on him yet but i don't think he's proven enough yet to hover in feuds with say, Big Show or Mysterio, then back into the title picture at the drop of a hat, he needs that briefcase again and the annoying "miz girl" heat will follow.

Love to see either Seamus, Barrett or Byran win the SM one, and hopefully Sin Cara and Gabriel will provide some high flying entertainment, but i think WWE are very high on Cody at the minute, i think he's going to do it.Failing that, love to see a Seamus win / face turn to fued with new champ Christian

• Registered Users Posts: 85,886 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I voted for Sheamus and Alberto Del Rio but I fear Wade Barrett could win the SD one even though it should be Sheamus imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I chose Sheamus and Del Rio.

If Del Rio doesn't win it'll be a huge cop-out. There's been talk of him facing Cena for months, and a lot of people really want to see this happen at Summerslam. BUT that's a lot of heel victories at one PPV.

I've been mulling it over like this:
    Sheamus wins, big woop, doesnt really factor into the bigger picture here.
    Del Rio wins, and then later in the night Punk wins the title. (Sheamus may or may not be ordered out by McMahon to cash in against Punk at this point. I just cant picture Sheamus walking around with the briefcase for a while). Del Rio then cashes in, and ends up defeating Punk for the title.
    NOW, this could go 50/50. If DR cashes in, he will be stealing the title from a lot of fans favourite wrestler, and as such will get booed by the fans. Still a heel. On the other hand, he saves the WWE title, thus performing a face action. This can be fixed the next night by him saying "I didn't do it for you people, it did it for me, for IT IS MY DESTINY!" and so on.

Really interested to see how it plays out!

If Orton and Christian title match goes on before SD's MITB match and Christian loses he could try and get himself in that match also

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i went with sheamus and del rio think del rio is a definate i think sheamus will win cause i have a feeling christian will beat orton then sheamus cashes in on christian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Who sarcastically voted for Heath Slater, more of a chance of Henry vs Big Show being put in the match of the year thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

GTR63 wrote: »
    Who sarcastically voted for Heath Slater, more of a chance of Henry vs Big Show being put in the match of the year thread.

im preety sure theres more of a chance benoit gets a mention on wwe tv

sky88 wrote: »
    i went with sheamus and del rio think del rio is a definate i think sheamus will win cause i have a feeling christian will beat orton then sheamus cashes in on christian
    Heel cashing in on heel? Does not compute. Makes more sense for Orton to win and then Sheamus to cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Ridley

Heel cashing in on heel? Does not compute. Makes more sense for Orton to win and then Sheamus to cash.

Swagger did it to Jericho.

It feels too obvious to be Del Rio and Sheamus. Unless I see something that changes my mind on Smackdown (like when Swagger's win was only pre-empted by being on commentary on Raw earlier in the week of the PPV), I'm backing Del Rio and Cody Rhodes in the prediction thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

Del Rio and Sheamus. I'd love to see Rhodes win on SmackDown, but I don't think so. If it's anyone else, it will be Wade like everyone else said. Can't really see anyone apart from Del Rio winning on RAW though. Truth winning it would be good lolz.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

GTR63 wrote: »

I've a feeling someone voted for everyone just cos I gave the multiple vote option as obviously we will have more than one winner. Really dont think anyone expects the Nexus boys to win this.

Most people seem to be saying Wade from SD or atleast the same amount as are saying Sheamus but in the poll big red is way out infront from the SD folk, hard not to vote for the Irish lad eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Most people seem to be saying Wade from SD or atleast the same amount as are saying Sheamus but in the poll big red is way out infront from the SD folk, hard not to vote for the Irish lad eh?

Sheamus is the huge favourite anyway, he's the only one of the bunch that's been remotely treated as a headliner in the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I think for smackdown it will go to sheamus and for raw my head says del rio but my heart says Riley. With the way there pushing Riley these days he's the 2nd biggest face on raw and what if at the end of the ppv we see punk about to walk away with the title and then rileys music hits and he wins the title thus mega pushing himself and saving cena's ass

Ah lads who voted Evan Bourne?

That's just cruel.

ricero wrote: »
    I think for smackdown it will go to sheamus and for raw my head says del rio but my heart says Riley. With the way there pushing Riley these days he's the 2nd biggest face on raw and what if at the end of the ppv we see punk about to walk away with the title and then rileys music hits and he wins the title thus mega pushing himself and saving cena's ass

Rey is more over than him

I think Riley will continue his feud with Miz, Morrison might make an appearance if he can and cost Truth and I dont really see Kofi, Bourne (in for the spotfests only) or Swagger being given a shot so it is between Del Rio (fav) and Rey to win Raw's MITB match

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Ah lads who voted Evan Bourne?

That's just cruel.

the same person who voted for Heath Slater and Gabriel i'd assume

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Think it'll be del rio and rhodes,Although I don't really think del rio needs it.I'd like to see a good face winner was Punk the last one?Maybe Riley or Kofi,Something that would add to their character and build them up over a few months.

Bar Kane Gabriel and Slater I'd be quite satisfied with whoever wins both matches,Which is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I voted for Del Rio and Sheamus, but I'd love to see Rey win the Raw one, then Punk to defeat Cena, then Rey comes down to cash in. Loads of the locker-room including Vince make their way to ringside to try and ensure that Punk doesn't get to leave with the title, then just as it looks like Rey has it won Vince slips Punk the belt and distracts the ref, then Bang 1,2,3! Vince lifts Punk's hand in the air as the show goes off the air...

Might be a bit Attitude / Russo inspired but you can guarantee it'd be an absolute mark-out fest!

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Rey is more over than him

Kofi is also miles more over than Riley as well.

So who is in Superstars MITB match :p

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    So who is in Superstars MITB match :p

Chris Masters
    Trent Baretta
    Zack Ryder
    The Uso's
    JTG
    Drew Mc Intyre
    Curt Hawkins

Instead of cashing in for a title, the winner has to settle for free briefcase. :D

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Chris Masters
    Trent Baretta
    Zack Ryder
    The Uso's
    JTG
    Drew Mc Intyre
    Curt Hawkins

Instead of cashing in for a title, the winner gets a free briefcase. :D

Or a match on Raw or SD

Riley probably still has the empty briefcase

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I voted Del Rio for obvious reasons and Bryan just to (hopefully) look brilliant when he wins out of nowhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭glenjamin

ricero wrote: »
    Riley's only over at the moment because he's feuding with The Miz. Once that feud ends his pop will go with it and he'll end up just another guy in the midcard. I really hope they don't give it to him as he's definite not good enough to be a main eventer just yet, even though he's been there for the last year standing beside the Miz. Remember how bad he was against Cena in a cage match a couple of months ago on Raw??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

I went for Del Rio & Sheamus.

It would make sense for the RAW briefcase to be won by a face just so he can cash it in on Punk if he beat Cena. However I just dont see any of the RAW faces as world champion at the moment except for Mysterio but i dont see him winning it so i went for Del Rio to set up a feud with Cena (assuming he beats Punk of course)

I have a thought running around in my head that Sheamus will win this and cash it in on Christian after he beats Orton. This will only feed Christians "screwed out of the title" rants further and could lead him to a mental breakdown in the ring (quality viewing :D)

Advertisement