Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harry Potter Spin Offs?

• 14-07-2011 2:06am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With the final installment of the film having arrived, I was just thinking, what spin offs could JK actually make.

I don't know if I'd like her to write more or not, but if she were to, what could she write about...

Some options I think she has would be the Hogwarts founders, Griffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and Slytherin, or she could do when James, Lily, Snape etc were in school, or finally, she could do the next generation so to speak, Harry and Ginny's, and Ron and Hermione's kids in Hogwarts.

So what do you guys think. First of all should she, and if she did what should it be about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Whilst I am madly in love with the books and the whole Wizarding World... and I would miss it, I don't know that I'd want spin offs or prequels as such.
    Sometimes I think you can take more away from the fantasy by trying to add on bits.

I'm very much in two minds about it. I definitely wouldn't want stuff from the timeline *after* the final book. Yet I might be intrigued by background information, perhaps more of a history book rather than story.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Trepzi

I'd like if she did. She created a whole world and I can't really think that anyone would complain, once it was something that she wanted to do rather than felt she had to.

I think a book about the Hogwarts founders would be very interesting.

It's possible that without her actually writing another book we'll get information about characters such as James, Lily, Sirius, and the next generation on Pottermore. It was interesting that for when writing to raise money for charity in 2008 that she wrote a mini-story about James and Sirius. Although she stressed that she wasn't working on a prequel that fact that she picked this topic.

Other topics could be:
    • A book set maybe in another wizarding school such as Durmstrang or Beauxbatons. We never really found out much about either
    • Based around the introduction of the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy
    • Maybe the introduction of the Triwizard Tournament or the last tournament before being scrapped and subsequently reinstated in GOF

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Personally I'd like more 'textbooks', maybe Hogwarts:A History, or A History of Magic. Proper ones though, they shouldn't be as short as the two she's published previously (Fantastic Beasts and the Quidditch one). Maybe even an biog of Dumbledore, that'd be interesting I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I would love to see some Auror action, i think instead of a book about them maybe a show on TV like Fringe but with wands and magic.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I'd like to see more books from the Potter universe but only if they were set more than 100 years before Dumbledore or more than 100 years after the current characters have gone. This way she could write within the general outline of the wizarding world she created but not be confined to stories that already exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭gudwan

If she does anything else (which I don't know that she would) I think it would be about Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

gudwan wrote: »
    If she does anything else (which I don't know that she would) I think it would be about Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs...
    Has all the important parts not been covered already :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭andy2die4

I'm sure she's have enough of that world. Now she can spend her money in this world.

Advertisement