Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Davis Injured, Ortiz Gets Call to Face Evans in UFC 133 rematch

Options
  • 14-07-2011 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

apparenlty davis is out & ortiz is snaking back into contention.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

This has being going on all day:rolleyes:

Davis out
    Tito in
    Tito out
    Machida in
    Machida out
    Tito in

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭OMCCABE

WAR TITO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,138 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Machida deserves it more

Tito prob doesn't want it.
    But i think Tito is a better fight for fans.

i'd take either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

It's all official
    Dana White wrote:
    Get ready philly for Rashad Evans vs Tito Ortiz!!! Aug 6th LIVE on PPV at the Wells Fargo Center!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

weemcd wrote: »

PLEAAASSSEEEE never link mmabay to an 'official' story, the clown who runs it wouldn't know his arse from his elbow

• Advertisement

Like i've said in the UFC Chat thread, Tito is in a No-Lose situation here

If he wins then he's on the verge of a title shot, something people would have laughed at 6 months ago.

If he loses then he'll just say 'What do you expect, i took this fight at 3 weeks notice and it's my 2nd fight in 5 weeks'

Dunno what his contract is but with the money he's on i can bet that one of the conditions he took this fight was if his contract was extended by 1 fight

As for who wins, i really dunno, at this moment i'm leaning 75-25 towards Rashad but i'll never write off Tito

scudzilla wrote: »
    PLEAAASSSEEEE never link mmabay to an 'official' story, the clown who runs it wouldn't know his arse from his elbow

the other two links not suffice then?:rolleyes:

weemcd wrote: »
    the other two links not suffice then?:rolleyes:

yeah, they were awesome, then ya went and ruined it all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

scudzilla wrote: »

Dunno what his contract is but with the money he's on i can bet that one of the conditions he took this fight was if his contract was extended by 1 fight

Yeah I'd say that was one of the conditions alright. And he'd be right to ask for it.

I'm 50/50 on who I think is gonna win this. Up until the Bader fight I would've said Rashad wins it all day long, but after seeing the performance he put in against Bader I wouldn't be surprised to see Tito pull off something spectacular!

Really looking forward to the fight anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Dean09 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd say that was one of the conditions alright. And he'd be right to ask for it.

I'm 50/50 on who I think is gonna win this. Up until the Bader fight I would've said Rashad wins it all day long, but after seeing the performance he put in against Bader I wouldn't be surprised to see Tito pull off something spectacular!

Really looking forward to the fight anyway!

ya me too, can't wait!
    worth taking in to consideration that 'Suga' has not fought in well over a year and freshness is always a factor.

• Advertisement

ya me too, can't wait!
    worth taking in to consideration that 'Suga' has not fought in well over a year and freshness is always a factor.

Tito still has his chin too. Unlike Chuck or Randy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

This is going to be some war, can't wait to see the build up show on this one.

Tito is an awkward handful at the best of times, I know I'm getting carried away with hype like I always do, but I think Tito has a chance here, all depending on how much rust Rashad really has carrying into the ring.

As far as business goes, they had a fairly ordinary fight at lhw turn into a bit of a story here, there really was no interest in this fight until they had to change fighters. The world of mma is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Around two weeks ago I felt a little sorry for Tito and part of me wanted him to beat Bader to cement his legacy. But since the win I'm regretting it. the Tito hype train is back on the tracks. I see Rashad beating Tito comfortably. I just hope it doesn't take another 4 years without a win before the UFC get rid of him this time. Oh and even if he pulls off a mircale and beats Rashad, I still feel he's another win away from the title. But given the inconsitency in some of the title shots by the UFC when a fight will make money it wouldn't surprise me if the UFC made him number one contender. Imagine how badly Jon Jones would beat Tito.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

It seems Machida agreed to the fight and then changed his mind saying he wants more money. So Dana told him to fúck off and got Tito to step in.
    Lyoto Machida could be facing an uncertain future after UFC president Dana White revealed the Brazilian initially agreed to fight Rashad Evans, only to then go back on his word after demanding more money.

White was facing the prospect of losing his main event for the second time in three events, after Phil Davis had to pull out of UFC 133 with a knee injury. The withdrawal comes within a month of UFC Live, which saw Nate Marquardt pulled from the card against Rick Story.

Tito Ortiz has helped rescue the August 6 event in Philadelphia, but only after Machida broke his previously-clean relationship with White. According to the president, Machida accepted the fight, only to then demand the same money as Anderson Silva.

"Machida accepted the fight," White told MMAjunkie. "We knew for a couple days this was going down, and Machida accepted the fight.

"Then when we called back and said, 'OK, we're going to make this fight,' Machida's people came back and said, 'We'll tell you what. You pay us what you pay Anderson Silva, and we'll take the fight.' This was after they had already agreed to take the fight.

"I said, 'Are you f***ing kidding me? I'll tell you what. You tell Machida he achieves what f***ing Anderson Silva has achieved, then maybe he'll make Anderson Silva money. Have a nice day.'"

Elaborating on Ortiz's U-turn, which saw the former champion reject the fight before later accepting, White was full of praise for a man he has had countless fallouts with over the years.

"Tito turned it down, and then Tito called back and said, 'Did you get the fight yet?'. I said, 'Nope.' He goes, 'Let me think about it. Let me talk to my team, and I'll call you back tomorrow.' This was Tuesday night."

Asked if Ortiz could earn a title shot with victory, White replied: "F***ing right, he gets a break. Tito stepped up to the plate. It's f***ing weird here. It's like I'm dealing with a new person. I like it. I like the new Tito.

"The storyline is what's so interesting. Tito went from 'You're about to be cut,' to now, if he beats Rashad Evans, he's back in the mix. He's back in the picture."
    http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/100918.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Yeah read that. Lost some respect for The Dragon there. Ridiculous demand, probably thought he had Dana over a barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Machida is doing quite well, back in the top 5. Would be taking a fight on 3 weeks ( 2 really, 1 week for PR ) notice. A loss against a guy who is probably very motivated, been training for a while and needs a win to solidify the fact he's next in line. Only negative is cage rust.

He's every right to ask for a bit more money IMO. Simply because he would only be doing the company a favor and a loss would push him further down the rankings.

Tito on the other hand still has a very good contract, just out a fight so is fresh. Knows it's a win win situation as he is far lower down than Machida. Probably outside the top 10 easily. This win ( if he gets it ) put's him in the top 4.

Don't blame Machida, just seems he's getting a lot of abuse for something Tito would have done as well as so many other fighters if they were in that position.

Guys like Leben take these fights, as they are sluggers regardless and always ready to fight. Apparently Leben , Sonnen and Koscheck all said they would have taken the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

"I said, 'Are you f***ing kidding me? I'll tell you what. You tell Machida he achieves what f***ing Anderson Silva has achieved, then maybe he'll make Anderson Silva money. Have a nice day.'"

Dana. What a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Machida's management are dead right asking for more money. He's already annhilated Evans in a title fight and they expect him to come in and possibly un-do that at three weeks notice for the same money he would have been paid for the next fight on his contract.

Wise move by Machida, he has a lot more to lose than Ortiz does.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I doubt many would have a problem with Machida asking for more money but its the way he did it that is going to piss people off. First he accepts the fight, then rings back not just asking for more money but the same money as a guy who's going to go down as the greatest MWer, or he won't fight?

He made the right choice but he could have gone about it a bit better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,138 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tito Ortiz has helped rescue the August 6 event in Philadelphia, but only after Machida broke his previously-clean relationship with White. According to the president, Machida accepted the fight, only to then demand the same money as Anderson Silva.

"Machida accepted the fight," White told MMAjunkie. "We knew for a couple days this was going down, and Machida accepted the fight.

"Then when we called back and said, 'OK, we're going to make this fight,' Machida's people came back and said, 'We'll tell you what. You pay us what you pay Anderson Silva, and we'll take the fight.' This was after they had already agreed to take the fight.

Hmmm, not sure how accurate that is.

UFC 129 - Machida got $200k
    UFC 126 - Silva got $200k (Belfort got $275k)

The above are from a quick google, so may not be concrete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

On related note from Dave Meltzer
    If you’re keeping track, that makes 12 main events or title matches so far this year in UFC that have fallen apart (Anderson Silva vs Sonnen, Evans vs. Shogun Rua, Edgar vs. Maynard III, Velasquez vs. Dos Santos, Lesnar vs. Dos Santos, Ortiz vs. Rogerio Nogueira, Jones vs. Evans, Aldo vs. Mendes, Aldo vs. Josh Grispi, Johnson vs. Marquardt and Story vs. Marquardt). That’s not including Sonnen vs. Bisping which they wanted as a December main event. I have not done the stats myself, but have been told that injuries are coming at more than triple the rate of a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

I really despise the way Dana goes about his business. Its so childish and damaging to the fighters. He seems to think that they all owe the UFC something. Machida should have just taken the bloody fighght though, because now that he pissed off Vinc.....i mean Dana, he's going to be swimming against the tide from here on in, and god knows when we'll get to see him next. And that sucks imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

LyoTwitter_normal.jpg @lyotomachidafw Lyoto Machida

All stories have two sides.

13 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® Favorite Retweet Reply

Advertisement