Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pond goldfish lying on side

Options
  • 13-07-2011 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi all, my pond is full of healthy goldfish BUT one fish was found listless and lying on its side just below the pond surface.. When I went to remove from the pond it had sufficient "get-up-and-go" to upright itself and dive. But within a minute it was back again to lying close to surface on its side. I have removed and placed in a shallow tank. Fish now lies at the bottom of the tank (not top) on its side and hardly ever moves. Will right itself for a second or two if it feels frightened by my presence and then returns to lying on its side at the bottom of the tank. Fish initially did seem to be bloated (not excessivley)- pine-coned (not markedly) but these traits seem to have subsided. However fish remains listless on its side. No other features to behold externally - fish looks a picture of health. Any ideas on what this could be and whether any remedial action is feasible/recommended. Many thanks. PS - timeline so far is three days.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Is he eating?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

Silverfish wrote: »
    Is he eating?

NO

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Was the fish in any position where it could have seen Mary O'Rourke present Tonight with Vincent Browne.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Bad sign. Sounds like swimbladder.

I had a fish on it's side for a few weeks, I cooked some frozen garden peas, took the skins off, mushed them up and hand-fed them to the fish over a few days, peas are a laxative to fish, so it's usually a cure of a sort.

Otherwise you can go down the swimbladder medication route. Think Interpet do a swimbladder treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

Silverfish wrote: »
    Bad sign. Sounds like swimbladder.

I had a fish on it's side for a few weeks, I cooked some frozen garden peas, took the skins off, mushed them up and hand-fed them to the fish over a few days, peas are a laxative to fish, so it's usually a cure of a sort.

Otherwise you can go down the swimbladder medication route. Think Interpet do a swimbladder treatment.

Thank you - I'll try the peas and see can I get my hands on swim bladder medication.

• Advertisement
Advertisement