Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adapting to MSE security essentials

Options
  • 13-07-2011 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

just changed from Norton anti-virus to microsoft. now I frequently get warnings about sending info over an "un-encrypted network so info can be seen easily by a third party, do you want to proceed etc" I have never seen this before. Please help. What do I do? How do I encrypt my wireless network? With Norton anti-virus, this was never flagged up before. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Post up your router model, so we have a starting point, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

netgear wireless G router WGR614 v9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

paddles wrote: »
    netgear wireless G router WGR614 v9

Put a password on your WiFi. Preferably WPA encryption.

Ok so I've learned something new. The Norton 360 included automatic wireless security and that's now gone. Guess with all the recmmendations on this thread for MSE, I thought that it would do the same thing but doesn't it seems as now my wireless is not encrypted. And haven't a clue what to do. I have my wireless router now for a few years and it may not be compatible with the WPA2. Trying to find that out cos otherwise, I'm at nothing until I change the router!

Who set up your router?

• Advertisement

Put a password on your WiFi. Preferably WPA encryption.

I had one! Does this mean it's no longer secure enough? I never had a warning about insecure wireless before and I have wireless about 5yrs. Could my model be out of date or something or not compatible with my new anti-virus MSE?

No. WiFi password and anti virus are separate. Don't know why Norton was interfering with it. PM me your number ill guide you through it. quicker than on here

UPC but it was years ago. maybe I should have just stuck with Norton as this was never a problem before. Now I'm paranoid about doing anything on the internet.

It probably was tbh. I can imagine Norton could only secure your pc, not the whole network. Send me your number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

The error message you originally posted has nothing to do with wireless encryption. It is a reference to posting form data over a non-SSL encrypted connection. You will get this message the first time you do something like a google search over HTTP vs. HTTPS connection. Usually people check the 'do not show this message again' box and ignore it.

Norton, or any other AV/Security tool has nothing to do with this, as far as I'm aware. It seems that you are correlating two events that are, apart from temporal co-incidence, unrelated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement