Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension through planning but now stuck - best next steps advice needed

Options
  • 13-07-2011 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello

Not got much of experience of getting building work done/construction knowledge or the planning process so engaged an architect thinking that we get through planning and have drawings to engage a builder.

We wanted to get the design phase right of how to make our bungalow layout work right for us taking better advantage of the southern aspects and garden that were being under utilised.

I think we got this and like the design, the problem is we now need to convert the planning drawings as the builder we first contacted says we need more construction detail in the plans.

Planning is approved waiting on 2 more of the 4 weeks before we can start.

I’m reasonably practical minded and can believe we need to get a lot more into the specification before a builder who isn’t an engineer/has his own engineer will be able to quote.

Or alternatively there may be a builder who has done this type of thing a number of times before.

Staying with the current PP I think I would be happier to go with somebody who could manage the whole project getting the specs right, through tendering and supervising technical aspects of the build.

Failing someone like that miraculously appearing a medium/big sized construction company keen(desperate?) enough to take on a smallish job?

What is people’s advice?.

Thanks in advance.

Aerpl

Construction detail

The problem part of the work is basically a sunroom type construction, mostly glass sided with a gabled end but corner windows that extend from 600mm to roof height.

Roof being a ordinary pitched one, the ridge perpendicular and same height as the existing roof with concrete tile to blend. It is intended to have 2 velux and be internally full height.

The whole structure only extends out 3.2 meters from the existing wall and is alongside for 5.25m. That longer length does not go beyond existing side wall which will require an opening of 4.5m.

For the builder we talked with the problem was there was no blockwork at the corners of the new block to support over window lintels or the roof.

On contacting the architect I got the suggestion about corner lintels and website link to examples of such.(catnic.com)

There would appear to me to be quite a lot of work to do to get a specification and also quite a good chance the builders for this small a project would not be that familiar with the techniques involved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The structure of this needs to be designed properly. You need a set of working drawings for the sun-room, easy enough to do and should incorporate a full specification. It's very odd that your architect would refer you to a website rather than do a detail. Get a good local Architectural Technician to price up a set of working drawings for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 aerpl

Thanks Tom,
    The way the fees were structured with this architect was not something we wanted to continue with once planning phase 'complete'.
    Is a structural engineer also a possibility?
    That could also be the someone to sign off on building regs which will also be needed I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

I would suggest a good Arch Tech with PI would be the right person for the job. Preparing tender and construction documentation is bread and butter stuff to them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

aerpl wrote: »
    There would appear to me to be quite a lot of work to do to get a specification and also quite a good chance the builders for this small a project would not be that familiar with the techniques involved.

GET an arch tech, you answered your own question.
    too many people come here to post problems because they failed to get this stage done right. what every this costs you, you WILL save by fewer problems on site.

you need to allow a few weeks for pricing and drawing preparation before you can start

• Registered Users Posts: 7 aerpl

Thanks for the replies, Architect technician seems the way to go.

There's always a lot to learn about any game/trade and when you only get to play it on rare occasions coming up against the pro's is daunting.

I take PI isn't a reference to Magnum PI but probably Public Indemnity insurance.

Can anybody PM me the contact detail of a good Arch Tech with er hmm PI and within shouting distance of Co. Clare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,868 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I take PI isn't a reference to Magnum PI
    :D

but probably Public Professional Indemnity insurance.
    There you go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Is a structural engineer also a possibility?
    That could also be the someone to sign off on building regs which will also be needed I understand.
    Yes, as stated above anyone used to signing off with PI Insurance and of course able to design the structure you need.

Advertisement