Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need internet on my laptop without contract?

Options
  • 13-07-2011 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

I am staying in a house for 4 weeks in Dublin that does not have the internet.

I 100% need it for my laptop, but I can't get involved in a contract as I will be moving to new apartment in 4 weeks which has internet.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

maybe try getting 3g broadband dongle.I know meteor does pay as you go charges but i think you have to buy the dongle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭movingtotheuk

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    maybe try getting 3g broadband dongle.I know meteor does pay as you go charges but i think you have to buy the dongle.

Looks like 02 do it, but the speed is 2 Mbps. Now my computer here is 54Mbps.

I presume that means the speed if crap???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

The 54Mbps is only your wireless connection speed to the router , not your internet connection . www.speedtest.net will give you a fair idea of your actual broadband speed .

The nominal down speed of 3G modems is around 7Mb - decent enough really . You might have been looking at the theoretical up speed of the O2 dongle . Signal strength can affect performance significantly of course - check coverage for the provider in the area before buying . The biggest drawback with 3G modems (on PAYG at least) is that the data allowance is pretty miserly ... 5GB per month/30 day pass last I checked (was much the same on Meteor , Vodafone and O2 when I used them) .

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

I have Joikuspot on my phone - it turns the phone into a wifi router using the mobile phone network to connect to the web - it works on symbian platforms ..... I have a 2GB data allowance on my phone contract so it comes in very handy when i'm on nights in work ..... cost $10 on a nokia website as far as i remember ... not sure will it suit you but looking into something along those lines might work for you .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

I'm curious about these "pay as you go" dongles. How much do you pay? I mean I use the internet all the time but I rarely upload or download stuff. How long does a dongle allow you to be online just browsing, checking forums, reading the paper etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

the cheapest is 9.euro per month 1 gig usage cap ,most usb modems charge 99 per month 1gig cap, most charge 20 euro per month,ten gig cap or else use a pay as you go modem, buy credit for 1 week,or 1day,or 1 month.
    ten gig usage cap = casual browsing,youtube videos etc 1 youtube video 4mins = 5meg approx 240p,non hd.1 gig= 1000meg.a dongle would allow you to be online like 24, 7 If you were browsing forums,reading nyt ,gaurdian, etc go to browser options, set images off,if you want to speed up page loading,or use a free adblocker program.theres a modem with hotspot ,that allows you to use 5 pcs from it, it sets up a wifi network, i,ve never used it ,on an vodafone modem i used to get around 900k per sec in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I'm curious about these "pay as you go" dongles. How much do you pay? I mean I use the internet all the time but I rarely upload or download stuff. How long does a dongle allow you to be online just browsing, checking forums, reading the paper etc?

Post of the day! "I use the internet all the time but i never upload or download stuff". Thats like saying I do a lot of driving, but dont use any petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭MapForJ

A friend told me his dongle allowance was eaten up with windows updates and progs in the background updating

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

We have the O2 hotshot and you can carry it around in your pocket and go online anywhere .

We have an allowance of 15MB , but the average monthly usage is only 10MB .

We pay €20 monthly - it has 2 users , but is capable of running 5 machines

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

syklops wrote: »
    Post of the day! "I use the internet all the time but i never upload or download stuff". Thats like saying I do a lot of driving, but dont use any petrol.

In fairness to him it is obvious that he isn't tech savvy.

Op - I think IBB still do one month rolling contracts for their ripwave product too but depending on where you will be based an usb dongle might be the best bet.
    If you have a smart phone it may do tethering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tethering)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭MapForJ

We have the O2 hotshot and you can carry it around in your pocket and go online anywhere .

We have an allowance of 15MB , but the average monthly usage is only 10MB .

We pay €20 monthly - it has 2 users , but is capable of running 5 machines
    10MB or GB ? Andnhow do you find it with av updates etc? Do they take a lot?

IF you are on a small cap.eg 1gig , you can go to control panel ,security,switch off automatic updates,do not download with asking option .Then go to a free wifi spot, library, switch on updates,download all the security updates,i dont see how ten meg cap is of use to anyone,the smallest cap i,ve seen is around 200meg,free net acess if you buy 20 euro credit per month ,on the android tablet.from, o2, meteor.most net cafe s have,ethernet net acess 1euro per hour,for people using laptops.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ricman wrote: »
    IF you are on a small cap.eg 1gig , you can go to control panel ,security,switch off automatic updates,do not download with asking option .Then go to a free wifi spot, library, switch on updates,download all the security updates,i dont see how ten meg cap is of use to anyone,the smallest cap i,ve seen is around 200meg,free net acess if you buy 20 euro credit per month ,on the android tablet.from, o2, meteor.most net cafe s have,ethernet net acess 1euro per hour,for people using laptops.
    you also have to tweak all your non-microsoft apps too
    like Adobe and Apple etc.

downloading or watching any multimedia will eat into it

perhaps one of the neighbours could share broadband ?

all librarys in dublin have free wifi now,.

Advertisement