Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking Mac and Windows

Options
  • 13-07-2011 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm thinking of getting a Macbook pro but I was wondering if I can share and see files on windows computers I have on my home network? If it is possible how hard/easy is it? Also will I be able to use my netwok printer from it?
    Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Don't think it should be much of a problem. I don't really bother with file sharing myself, mainly work on an iMac - the printers are hooked up to an XP PC in another room. Can't remember all the details off hand, but I had to share the printers on the XP machine and then find them on the Mac. You might need the relevant Mac version of the printer drivers. There are different means of searching for the printer once it has been shared, by IP address...something else, can't remember maybe bluetooth. Anyway, if memory serves, I selected the Windows and waited for it to find the XP PC's name and went from there, once the printer model is visible you should be able to go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

OK thanks for that, Sounds handy enough...

Its really simple.

I have shared folders on a MS Server 2008, Fedora Box, Win7 Box and a Samsung Net-book which I can access from my Macbook Pro.

Just share the folder, and use Samba (theres plenty from a google search).

If you have any difficulties when implementing it, just shout back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

OK
    Thanks very much:)

Advertisement