Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what fish did i see in lough atalia

Options
  • 13-07-2011 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭

was walking along the train track from renmore to city centre in galway today
    and i could see some big fish in the water maybe 3 pound weight
    there was loads of them in about 3 foot of water
    i take it there probably sea bass or maybe dog fish
    i wouldnt no much about sea fishing have only ever caught mackeral or pollock

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Mullet?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

chances are they are mullet..
    on a good calm day you can see them break the surface of the water all around lough atalia ..
    you'll also see them down by the claddagh where the swans are too..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

thanks lads are they nice to eat
    if so whats the best bait for them
    they looked like trout when looking down on them from the bridge
    if that identifies them any better lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

bread and mackeral strips under a float

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

they will be mullet..

either bread or popcorn on a size10 hook..

i wouldnt bother eating any of them fish as they taste like the environment they feed, and you really dont want to know what gets piped into lough atalia :eek:
    but they are good fighting fish..;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Mullet can be a tricky fish to catch.The reason beening is they are micro organism eaters so to mimic there food can be tricky.Your best bet if your going to try it is to feed them for up to a week before hand on what ever your going to use for bait.I wouldn't recommend eating them for this very reason and for the fact that there very slow growing taking nearly 20 years to reach full size and removing a few of the larger fish can take decades for the shoal to recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Actually the smaller fish breed more.

lol hadnt planned on eating the ones from there as thats exactly what i thought they would be eating
    thought i might catch them somewhere else
    but think il leave them alone now altogether

will go at mackrel instead the next time im down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

daithi55 wrote: »
    lol hadnt planned on eating the ones from there as thats exactly what i thought they would be eating
    thought i might catch them somewhere else
    but think il leave them alone now altogether

will go at mackrel instead the next time im down
    there are a greating fighting fish pound for pound if you have the patience to catch them.

damagegt wrote: »
    there are a greating fighting fish pound for pound if you have the patience to catch them.

il keep that in mind mate cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

they will be mullet..

either bread or popcorn on a size10 hook..

i wouldnt bother eating any of them fish as they taste like the environment they feed, and you really dont want to know what gets piped into lough atalia :eek:
    but they are good fighting fish..;)
    popcorn? ive heard that before does it work well? ive caught one on bread and actually managed to foul hook one in cork by mistake using feathers for mackerel great fighting fish but didn know that popcorn works
    learn something new everyday :D

Advertisement