Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up social smoking....

Options
  • 13-07-2011 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have a date of the end of August to quit smoking all together. I currently have not had a cigerette for a week and so far am not climbing the walls but then I have always been a bit more of a social smoker anyway. Does anyone have any tips for giving up when say boredom or booze come up?

I really want to do it properly this time ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

if i was off them for a week i dont think i'd smoke for a very long time again or never at all.

5 days was my best pure torture, heavily medicated with zyban and the inhaler and i failed but stress was the main problem at the time and it was near christmass so couldn't avoid the pub either so disaster altogether

i'd avoid the booze for one and keep busy but you seam like you could do well if your off them for the week no bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 juno13

Thanks for your response Sparkes. I find giving up smoking during the day quite easy really and I have done it before for months on end. However the minute I hit the pub or wherever I find myself hunting for the nearest fag machine! I really want to put a end to it for good. I am going to try to keep away from the booze for a bit but I am not sure how long I would need to do that in order to succeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

ah you'll do it alright i'd say never mind if you slip up once or twice i might happen might not but your not that addicted to begin with so you have a good a chance as most.

try gettin fit or play sports something like that will put you off them and keep you motivated to stay off them

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

If you're off them for a week you have no true physical addiction to them - you could either avoid situations that have led to you smoking in the past, or, I'd say just brazen it out - once you get a night out without smoking under your belt you'll be laughing.

Advertisement