Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 installation - no cd drive

Options
  • 13-07-2011 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Is there anything I can do here? I have the windows installation cd. My laptop has no cd drive as I'm using the slot for an SSD drive. I want to install windows onto this SSD drive.

Any ideas? Is it possible to do a network install or to copy the windows cd onto my second hard disk or install from?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

euser1984 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Is there anything I can do here? I have the windows installation cd. My laptop has no cd drive as I'm using the slot for an SSD drive. I want to install windows onto this SSD drive.

Any ideas? Is it possible to do a network install or to copy the windows cd onto my second hard disk or install from?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks a mill.

Create a bootable USB drive. I do it all the time installing OS's on netbooks!
    Which OS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

I use this personally so I can vouch it works :)

need a decent sized USB key though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The eaisest way would be to get an external cd drive. I'm presuming you took your old cd drive out, if you did you could by a cheep adapter on ebam from China or somewhere that would allow you to use your cd drive through a usb port. If that wont work you should look into trying to install it from a usb key, there are loads of guides online on how to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

If you get EasyBCD you cab run the ISO off the hard drive via the bootloader. Not sure if it will let you install but worth a shot if you have no USB Key

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Another solution would be to swap your drives around, take out both drives and put the SSD in your laptop and your DVD drive into the DVD drive bay, install Windows from the DVD onto the SSD then replace your DVD drive with your regular hard drive in the DVD drive bay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Microsoft supply the tool for doing it and it couldn't be any more straight forward.

Details:

Get The Tool:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Advertisement