Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing on the ponds in Doonbeg

Options
  • 13-07-2011 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Hi all im heading away for the weekend to Doonbeg and there are a couple of ponds there with brownies and rainbow trout in them just wondering what sort of flies would i be using this time of year on the lakes. I have not fly fished in a couple of years so am really looking forward to a couple of hours of pleasure.

So any advice on what flies to try

Thanks
    JC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Hi JC. I didn't know there were stocked fisheries in Doonbeg but its a few years since I have been there.
    I would suggest phoning whoever runs this place and ask them what is working.
    Other than that I would suggest having a few small dries e.g.
    Size 14,16,18 Klink's, Cdc & elk and F fly. Also a few hoppers and daddies.
    Wets
    Bibio, black pennel, Invicta, green peter. 12,14,16.
    Lures
    Damsel nymph, Cats whisker, Blobs.

There is great Mackerel fishing in that area also if you fancy that.

Good luck and don't forget the camera:)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Any luck op?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

if theres rainbow in it anything bright wi bit of flash in the fly
    or buzzers
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭jag con

Hi i had a go at the ponds there over the weekend and not even a rise or a bite i tried several different flies and nothing i did not even see a trout rise for flies

JC

Advertisement