Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete starter

Options
  • 13-07-2011 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm a complete newbie to cycling - used to play a lot of GAA but due to injuries and age I had to retire from that.. I'm looking at purchasing either a Trek 1.1 or a Fuji Roubaix 3.0 for a starter bike .. My plan would be to start off slow as in 30k to 40 k a week.. Any tips would be most helpfull ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Was once in this position myself except it was football (soccer) i was giving up.

My Tips would be

Ensuring you dont get stranded

1. Learn how to change a puncture at home before you go out (youtube video's)
    2. Bring 2 spare tubes, a pump and tyre levers on every spin.
    3. Invest in a good set of tyres those that come with bikes tend to be only average at best.

Other

1. Dont do too much too soon and risk injury
    2. Buy a decent pair of bib shorts
    3. Invest in clipless pedals and shoes once money allows
    4. Take off stupid looking reflectors
    5. Learn how to use the search button on boards and look up similar threads. Learn the names of the various parts of your bike and do research on gear.
    6. Buy a track pump

All i can think of now

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Anto12

Thanks very much KennyB - Will be purchasing a decent pair of cycling shorts and shoes for starters .. Looking forward to getting started ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Find some people to go on spins with. Much more fun than going out on your own. Posting here is a good way to start.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

On your list should also be a bottle cage and bottle (one initally, two later on) and some munchies to carry with you (e.g. a bananna, jelly beans, cereal bar etc...). If you get a bit lost at any point, it's a good idea to have some extra fuel to get you home. A little saddle bag to store this gear, and your mobile phone and a few bob, also makes sense.

When I started out, I was typically doing two 1 hours spins and one 2-3 hour spin per week, which worked well for me. I tend to think more in terms of time on the bike than distance covered, as hills and headwinds will mean much more energy spent for much less distance travelled. The distance also naturally extends as you get more used to the bike.

Advertisement