Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal Kennel Price?

Options
  • 13-07-2011 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi
    I had to go to a funeral in the UK . I left my dogs in a kennel. 3 dogs ,2 partitioned areas. 3 days = 90 euros.
    I know they are making a living and we didn't discuss prices beforehand.
    It was 75 euros the last time they were there. When the lads came home they were quite shell shocked, dehydrated,constipated and smelt pretty bad. Is this the type of price/service everyone charges?
    I thought it seemed a bit steep!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Hi
    I had to go to a funeral in the UK . I left my dogs in a kennel. 3 dogs ,2 partitioned areas. 3 days = 90 euros.
    I know they are making a living and we didn't discuss prices beforehand.
    It was 75 euros the last time they were there. When the lads came home they were quite shell shocked, dehydrated,constipated and smelt pretty bad. Is this the type of price/service everyone charges?
    I thought it seemed a bit steep!

That would be about right, €10 per dog per night. How were they the first time they stayed there, when they came home?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

The price would be normal, actually on the cheap side i would have said.

The conditions your dogs came back in are not. Did you complain to the manager when you picked up the dogs about their condition??

How do you know they were dehydrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Jonny Harris

They got through a large water bowl in minutes when we got home. Thinking back they were dehydrated last time . Is this to cut down on urine?
    I didn't realize how disturbed they were till we got home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP... thats seems pretty cheap if im honest... my place charges me €20- €30 per day per dog... its a home stay kennels... so he is part of the family home for the duration....

no your dogs shouldnt be that distressed or dyhydrated etc... where did you send them?

there are some shocking kennels out there :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Drinking a bowl of water wouldnt necessarily mean they are dehydrated. Between the travelling to and from the kennels, the heat etc a lot of dogs could go through a big bowl of water, i know mine would and they wouldnt be dehydrated.

Did you say anything to them when you collected the dogs??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Well I wouldn't go taking the dogs to that particular kennel again, you cannot go by price when it comes to kennels, some cheaper kennels are excellent and some dearer ones are appalling so you go by instinct and common sense.
    The dogs may smell a little but shouldn't stink esp. after a couple of days.
    Stress can make the dogs bowel movements go a bit wonky but combining all of it the smell, constipated and big thirst (it has been warm though) maybe it's worth checking out a different kennel for next time.

Did you get to see where the dogs were kepts? Were you happy with the kennel set up when you went there?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭C2

Ask your local SPCA to check it out. Some of these kennel guys are really unscrupulous. Our dogs are always happy going into and out of their kennels so if your guys seemed shell shocked quite possibly there is a problem.

If there is a problem then you're doing other dog owners a favour and of course the poor dogs too.

C2

Advertisement