Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Fall bike inspection / repair

Options
  • 13-07-2011 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

So took a hefty spill on my bike yesterday, was powering along at a decent pace when a dog runs out into the road from behind a line of parked cars, I brake quickly and hard, too hard as it turns out and I got sent flying over the handle bars.

Luckily no serious injuries to myself, a nice dent in my helmet, a few cuts and bruises and a HEAVILY bruised ego. The dog was fine by the way.

I did a quick inspection of the bike, there are a few cosmetic issues, scrapes/scratches, and the plastic around the gear levers is cracked. I decided to walk the bike home and could notice a few squeaks and rattles as I pushed her along.

Thing is I am in no way mechanically / technically minded, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend somewhere I could take the bike for a quick health check to make sure I haven’t actually properly damaged something.

I live in Dublin 3 so anywhere along there or the city centre suits me best. (I know there is a bike shop doing repairs in Fairview/Marino there but I have no idea what they are like in terms of service / costs)

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,098 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hope you're OK

What's the frame material? If carbon, there is a possibility of hidden damage, although most bikes are quite sturdy and if you were thrown clear of it any damage may well be cosmetic. Could be worth getting someone to look it over anyway

If it's metal, any damage is likely to be clear.

If your helmet took a bang, that should be replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Faker74 wrote: »
    I know there is a bike shop doing repairs in Fairview/Marino there but I have no idea what they are like in terms of service / costs)

Little Sport in Fairview are a decent bunch. They are quick (will do minor jobs while you wait), seem to know what they are doing and aren't too pricey. They will ring you if with a quote if any additional work needs to be done. If it's an aluminium or steel bike and the frame or forks aren't visibly bent, I would take it for a test spin. Test out your full range of gears, pump the brakes and listen for squeaks and rattles. Any problems should be apparent and you can let the bike shop know as well as asking them to give it the once over,

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

If you are an employee of An Post would you not get a bicycle mechanic to fix it for you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

The Frame is aluminium so hopefully no serious damage. Like I said there were some squeks that hadn't been there before as I pushed it home, so those are my only concerns for now.

Thanks for the advise guys!

Advertisement