Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morbidly obese goldfish

Options
  • 13-07-2011 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone

I have just today became the owner of 2 of the fattest goldfish ive ever seen.
    They are the size of golfballs.

The problem is the last owner fed them a teaspoon of flakes in the morning and another in the evening.

I want to get these guys healthy again, how the hell do I do it?
    Will i have to keep up their massive helpings but ween them down gradually or do i just start a healthy diet for them?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Some goldfish are round by shape naturally, google oranda goldfish, pearlscale goldfish and ranchus - these are all deep body breeds.

Have you pictures?

Mine are fed twice a day, but tiny amounts, their digestive systems can only handle little and often, not a teaspoon of flakes, that seems a lot!

People comment on mine being fat, but that's their breed compared to the common goldfish, which is a more elongated slender shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Heres the 2 fat b@stards now.

How much should I feed them. Everyone apart from you says once a day?

They look okay size wise to me, I'd say feed them once a day, as much as they can eat in 5 minutes, and remove any remaining food, until you get an idea of how much is enough.

Also if feeding flakes, soak them for a few mins first, or hold them under the water so they sink rather than float on the surface, as gulping food from the surface can lead to swimbladder problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Blurry picture, so cant see the scales, but do they not have dropsy?

Silverfish wrote: »
    They look okay size wise to me, I'd say feed them once a day, as much as they can eat in 5 minutes, and remove any remaining food, until you get an idea of how much is enough.

Also if feeding flakes, soak them for a few mins first, or hold them under the water so they sink rather than float on the surface, as gulping food from the surface can lead to swimbladder problems.

Thanks for the advice, do you reckon half a teaspoon would be a good starting point?
    Jumpy wrote: »

Sorry, whats dropsy?

• Advertisement

Jumpy wrote: »

Right did a bit of research and the scales are not sticking up but the belly does look abit bloated like the dropsy pics.

Well see.

These guys are taking dumps like theres no tomorrow.

the one on the left looks like a wakin, the one on the right looks like a shubunkin? Not too familiar with those or how they should look, but they don't look overly bloated to me for their normal body type.

People comment on my fish saying he's overweight, but he's the correct size and shape for his age and breed:

HzHvNl.jpg

I'd reduce the feeding to once a day anyway, just in case.
    Have you tested their water?

Advertisement