Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer on network but wont connect to net

Options
  • 13-07-2011 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi All.

Just need some help on a networking issue I have.

I have connected a pc to a network which is pinging all other computers on said network fine.
    However this network connects to a main network via wireless layer 2 where it gets its internet access.
    I have set the ip config the same as the other comps on the local network with the same gateway and dns but it will not connect to computers on the head office or the internet.
    It wont connect using static or automatic IP.
    Any ideas why this may be??
    Please help cos Im looking like a bollllox at work over this!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

I assume you have tried plugging in over Cat5/6 to the network and this hasn't worked either

• Registered Users Posts: 36 abadref

Yeah.. Its plugged into a switch at site A which connects to the router via wireless to Site B about half a mile away. Its a layer2 connection and works fine for all other computers on both sides of the network.. Thought it could be something with the MTU but it seems to be the same as all other comps on the network..
    Thanks for the prompt reply!

No problem. So all the other computers on site A and B can see each other alright? Its just this one machine that acts up?

yup .. but this machine has no prob connecting to the internet when plugged into our office and most strangely CAN see all computers at site A when plugged in but none at site B

How are the DNS and DHCP assigned on both sides of the network?

• Advertisement

Would MAC filtering or any other access control method be enabled?

Via a cisco Router?? Is that what you mean. Im using an IP add that was used and working on a machine which I removed. It also will not obtain an IP automatically...
    10.0.0.80 is the static IP.
    Gateway is 10.0.0.200
    and Dns is 10.0.0.1 which works fine for all other comps on the network

So let me get this straight, the layout looks like pc(B) - cisco - wifi <----> wifi - cisco - pc(A)

Headoffice has cisco router. (Site B)
    wireless connection to site A
    site A has no cisco router just a 3 com switch

Thats a strange one, so any other machine in site A can obtain an IP and work away, and the PC in question plays well when on site B. The problem you have here is there are so many places this could go wrong, depending on the switch/router models you may have a internal table issue. It could easily also be an issue with the wireless connection. One simple thing to check would be to put another NIC into the PC and only connect it to site A and see what happens, if you have a table error it wont turn up on a new nic. Thats were I would be starting, and at 10e for a cheap 10/100 card is a cheap solution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Do any of the sites use different proxies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭blodvyn

Just find the DNS that they're connecting to.

then go to lan, properties, ip4, properties, and add in dns details, should connect right up.

Advertisement