Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing external bb cups with no bb tool

Options
  • 12-07-2011 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

I just fit an Sram gxp crankset, I installed the cups by hand, then fit the cranks. Theres no play at all so it seems good to go.
    Should I wait till I get the right tool or is it fine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

At the very least I'd expect it to creak like mad. BB cups have the highest torque requirements of any fixing on the bike (off the top of my head), hand-tight won't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

..second only to the damn cranks.

http://bicycletutor.com/torque-specifications/

GXP BB
    33.9-40.1 Nm
    300-360 in lbs

Powerspline cranks
    38-42 Nm (actually my SRAM Red cranks say 48-54)
    336-372 in lbs

(goes off to tighten creaky BB)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I do have a very strong grip tho, Ill buy the tool today for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I do have a very strong grip tho, Ill buy the tool today for peace of mind.

If you had enough grip to generate 40nm on a BB cup you would probably rip your skin off. I tried it once with a strap wrench and that wasn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

meh if your not going to get upset by a few scratches just use a pipe grips,thats all ive ever used with externals and i dont get no creaking or coming loose and im on the bike everyday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭C3PO

meh if your not going to get upset by a few scratches just use a pipe grips,thats all ive ever used with externals and i dont get no creaking or coming loose and im on the bike everyday

Or maybe just a hammer and bolster chisel would do the job? :rolleyes:

Advertisement