Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millennium coins value

Options
  • 12-07-2011 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi im wondering could anyone give me advice on the value of the Millennium pound coin, and the milled edge pound coin, also the millennium 50 pence?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Assuming you're not talking about the proof boxed issues from the CB, the Millennium pounds and 50p's are worth little over their face value and you'd be even lucky to sell them to a dealer as there's buckets of them about. Everyone kept these aside, thinking they'd be worth something in the future but really what they should have been keeping aside was every single other date!

For your milled edge pound coins, you could easily ask for 20 Euro each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Blade,

What about the proof coins in their boxes?
    I would be interested to know what the going rate is for buying the millennium 50p proof, the regular pound proof and the millenium pound silver proof.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Hard to put a value on those as I've seen them varying quite a lot at auction. And I'm not sure what the going rate is with dealers as I haven't checked. But more or less you could be talking about 30 euro for each of the 2 millenniums and about 20 for the normal pound proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I am trying get each of the decimal coins in the best quality I can find. I already have a 1971 coin set of the polished coins and I plan on buying the three proof coins just discussed. This leaves me looking for the best quality I can find for the 20p and the small 5p and 10p. I know these are availible in the 1996 an 1998 sets but I hear the quality is not great. Do you know if the year 2000 coin set contains uncirculated coins or not as I can't find much information on it?

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    I am trying get each of the decimal coins in the best quality I can find. I already have a 1971 coin set of the polished coins and I plan on buying the three proof coins just discussed. This leaves me looking for the best quality I can find for the 20p and the small 5p and 10p. I know these are availible in the 1996 an 1998 sets but I hear the quality is not great. Do you know if the year 2000 coin set contains uncirculated coins or not as I can't find much information on it?

The coins would be UNC in all those official sets, but the quality was generally bad as many of the coins had what are called bag marks. It was only when the Euro came in that they started doing "slow run" minting for coins going to official sets. This means there is less chances of damage as they are not all spitting out on top of each other. I can check some of my sets here for good quality 20/5/10p's if you want. But some amount of marks are to be expected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Foxypa

Blade wrote: »
    Assuming you're not talking about the proof boxed issues from the CB, the Millennium pounds and 50p's are worth little over their face value and you'd be even lucky to sell them to a dealer as there's buckets of them about. Everyone kept these aside, thinking they'd be worth something in the future but really what they should have been keeping aside was every single other date!

For your milled edge pound coins, you could easily ask for 20 Euro each.

thanks for the reply blade, i was lookin on internet, ebay and other sites and most people are sellin the millennium pound coins for 3 or 4 euro each, dunno how many them people are after sellin thou :)

Advertisement