Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midget Bites Etc

Options
  • 12-07-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

My 3 shih-tzus go for walks twice a day in a large field,but they get bitten a lot and one bites the paws off herself:(Anyone know what I can use to stop them getting bitten? Is there a spray or lotion etc on the markek I can use.Bought an Insect repelliant but havent sprayed them as I was afraid they would lick it and get poisoned as its for humans
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

Have you looked for any dwarf-repellent? They might have it in B&Q

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Ninap wrote: »
    Have you looked for any dwarf-repellent? They might have it in B&Q

Ah thats mean but it did make me giggle lmao...

@ OP i use stronghold for all those kinda things dunno if it stops the midge bite but they dont complain...

Its midge not midgets :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I use a drop of citronella oil (dilute with a base/carrier oil) on the collar.
    Also put a few drops on myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Are you certain it's midges?
    Paw-biting after being out and about in fields, especially at this time of year, is very likely to be harvest mites. Pretty much all dogs get harvest mites, but only a proportion show an allergic reaction to them.
    They tend to give the fur an orange stain, which starts at the feet and work it's way up the legs onto the chest giving a horseshoe-shaped orange stain, which is difficult/impossible to spot on dark-coated dogs!
    Advocate is one spot-on treatment I know of that is licenced to treat them in dogs, but once you've killed off one batch, reinfestation restarts shortly after. So, for affected dogs at this time of the year, it's a constant battle to keep things under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Bizzum wrote: »
    Are you certain it's midges?
    Paw-biting after being out and about in fields, especially at this time of year, is very likely to be harvest mites. Pretty much all dogs get harvest mites, but only a proportion show an allergic reaction to them.
    They tend to give the fur an orange stain, which starts at the feet and work it's way up the legs onto the chest giving a horseshoe-shaped orange stain, which is difficult/impossible to spot on dark-coated dogs!
    Advocate is one spot-on treatment I know of that is licenced to treat them in dogs, but once you've killed off one batch, reinfestation restarts shortly after. So, for affected dogs at this time of the year, it's a constant battle to keep things under control.
    wow you sure know what I am talking about:D Yes she has staining on her feet and legs.I have treated them with stronghold about 2 mts ago. Asked vet about staining but she said it was sweat glands:rolleyes:Thanks for the info appreciated;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

I use a drop of citronella oil (dilute with a base/carrier oil) on the collar.
    Also put a few drops on myself.

will try this thanks;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Bettyboop wrote: »
    I have treated them with stronghold about 2 mts ago. Asked vet about staining but she said it was sweat glands

Stronghold, I think, will also kill harvest mites but you must treat the dogs again straight away now that they are obviously affected: these treatments will kill whatever's on the dog now, but in my experience are not great at keeping them off after it's been applied. So, at this time of the year, I'd be treating your dogs every 3-4 weeks.
    It's also said that you should alternate treatments to prevent resistance to the treatment, so Stronghold for one dose, Advocate for the next in a few weeks etc.
    I don't think there is any product which prevents mites jumping on board.
    And to an extent your vet is right: the paws do "sweat" and this can stain the paws, but it does not cause itchiness, nor does it stain beyond the toes.

Advertisement