Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what size bike for me

Options
  • 12-07-2011 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Am 5ft 10 , would a 50cm bike be suitable for me.Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

50cm in traditionnal sizing would be too small unless you have very short legs, you'd be more likely looking for a 54cm or a 56cm. Having said that, a compact geometry bike (with steeply sloping top tube) might have an actual seat tube lenght of roughly 50cm but an effective lenght of closer to 54 or 56cm. What's the bike in question? Also, leg lenght is a more accurate indicator of what lenght seat tube you'll need rather than over-all height.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭arch staunton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I couldn't find any information of geometry or recommended sizing for that bike online but these guys; http://www.bikeitcycles.com/productdetails.asp?ProdID=1870 say it comes in 45-48-50-52.5-55 and 57.5cm (which would make the 50cm small to medium) and it doesn't look like it's got an espcially slopy geometry so I'd say it's probably a bit small. Try it and see though, you never know. Make sure you can comfortably reach the handle-bars though (they may seem awful low if you have to rack the seat up really high) as bike sizing is not just about an almost-but-not-quite fully extended leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭arch staunton

Thanks for your help Tony

Advertisement