Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pokemon trading card game

• 12-07-2011 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

i just started playing the pokemon tcg and was wondering if there was a club like fnm in dublin at all.

also another question,i play magic the gathering aswell and cards rotate out from competitive play every year.is this the same with pokemon tcg and what sets are currently league legal at the moment?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Farland wrote: »
    i just started playing the pokemon tcg and was wondering if there was a club like fnm in dublin at all.

also another question,i play magic the gathering aswell and cards rotate out from competitive play every year.is this the same with pokemon tcg and what sets are currently league legal at the moment?

thanks in advance.

We had a TCG league running a good few months ago now and it was successful enough. AFAIK it's in the process of getting started up again, just waiting on a contact from the UK. In Pokémon you can use whatever cards you want from whatever sets you want, just as long as their not fakes or foreign language. Even if they're in foreign language if you have a copy of the english translation you can use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Farland

cool thanks alot.if help is needed to run the league i can definately help. Was it in gamersworld?? thats where I play fnm.that is a great place.

So there is no card expirey date for the competive pokemon league.awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I might be wrong, but for the US championships (and possibly the Eu ones) I heard this year there was a HGSS rotation. So HGSS, unleashed, undaunted and triumphant only, I think.

But that isn't really a leauge thing anyway I now realise :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

I might be wrong, but for the US championships (and possibly the Eu ones) I heard this year there was a HGSS rotation. So HGSS, unleashed, undaunted and triumphant only, I think.

But that isn't really a leauge thing anyway I now realise :o

Official Nintendo league has rotation rules. I don't think anyone else really cares. Makes it more interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

In Pokémon you can use whatever cards you want from whatever sets you want, just as long as their not fakes or foreign language. Even if they're in foreign language if you have a copy of the english translation you can use it.
    According to the League Leader over here, you CAN use foreign cards. Oddly enough the official rules are a big vague on the idea:
    15.8. Foreign Cards

The use of foreign-language cards have been known to create time delays and confusion at high-level Premier Events, where significant prizes are on the line. However, as the Pokémon TCG is an international game, concessions must be made to help accommodate markets where multiple languages are more common. Players are restricted on which language cards they can use, based on the country where they are playing. The list of countries and regions below defines which languages are considered local and which are considered foreign in that country or region.

Canada
    Local—English and French
    Foreign— German, Italian, Japanese, and Spanish

Europe
    Local—English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish
    Foreign – Japanese

Mexico and South America
    Local—English and Spanish
    Foreign—French, German, Italian, and Japanese

United States and Asia Pacific
    Local—English
    Foreign—French, German, Italian, Japanese, and Spanish

Players are not permitted to use foreign cards at Premier Events.
    For the Pokémon TCG World Championships and the Last Chance Qualifier, players are permitted to use cards that are legal in their home markets. Reference cards are not required for the Pokémon TCG World Championships or the Last Chance Qualifier.

Have fun make use of that useless information

• Advertisement

Does anybody collect the cards? I'v gathered quite a few rares, holos, primes and recently Secret rare shinys that are of little value to me as they're not strong in the TCG game and would gladly trade them?

Does anybody collect the cards? I'v gathered quite a few rares, holos, primes and recently Secret rare shinys that are of little value to me as they're not strong in the TCG game and would gladly trade them?
    I've ended up with a full set of Black and White recently enough, but most of that is going to be shop stock on my husband's card site (not putting in the link right now as that would be seen as advertising :))

That's cool. I thought the Black and white artwork was pretty boring from what I saw, but most base sets are, apparently.

That's cool. I thought the Black and white artwork was pretty boring from what I saw, but most base sets are, apparently.
    Any art done by 5ban Graphics I think is just in a dull pose, cool 3D model, just boring.

Point in hand:
    Fire pig has fire:
    pignite18.jpg
    VS
    Happy Pig is happy:
    pignite17.jpg

Old thread bump!

Just to let ye know that in tesco in nutgrove the toxic tricks and power play decks are only €3.93 each. Not sure if it's in all stores but worth checking out if you're in tesco!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Old thread bump!

Just to let ye know that in tesco in nutgrove the toxic tricks and power play decks are only €3.93 each. Not sure if it's in all stores but worth checking out if you're in tesco!
    Is it ticketed that way or just scanning that way?

Banjo wrote: »
    Old thread bump!

Is it ticketed that way or just scanning that way?

Ticketed that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭SamIAmNot

While we are talking about where to pick up cheap decks my local Smyths are selling some decks for €4.99. Not sure what the names are but there are a few...

SamIAmNot wrote: »
    While we are talking about where to pick up cheap decks my local Smyths are selling some decks for €4.99. Not sure what the names are but there are a few...

Which smyths is that? Might pop over on Friday. On a big tcg buzz at the moment :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

If I wanted to start playing this, is there groups in Dublin to play with?

cloud493 wrote: »
    If I wanted to start playing this, is there groups in Dublin to play with?

We did have a league running but people just got busy with college and work to get it up and running again. Was great fun all together! Maybe during the summer or something when people have more time something could be organised.

Well I was going to go for yu-gi-oh, but I already like pokemon and I've played quite a bit already, so :D

I saw in smyths today, the deck with serperior on the front? for a fiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Old thread bump!

Wow, that seems ridiculously cheap. They're considerably more expensive on eBay, even discounting postage. I'll check my local tesco but I'm almost sure they've never stocked the cards. I'll check the Galway store which should have them, however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

robman60 wrote: »
    Old thread bump!

Wow, that seems ridiculously cheap. They're considerably more expensive on eBay, even discounting postage. I'll check my local tesco but I'm almost sure they've never stocked the cards. I'll check the Galway store which should have them, however.
    The PowerPlay and Toxic decks scan at 3.00 in Celbridge, but ticket says 8.00 I think. They had a platinum one too but it's gone now ;) Didn't think to check the remaining Tins or 3-pack booster blisters. Will do if I'm in again during the week.

Edit : checked the booster packs, they're not marked down, didn't bother checking the tins. The decks are now ticketed at €3.00 on the shelves, 2 Toxic Tricks left.

• Advertisement

Checked my local Tesco earlier today, nothing. Looks as if I'll have to get them in Galway...

robman60 wrote: »
    Checked my local Tesco earlier today, nothing. Looks as if I'll have to get them in Galway...

Nah man they're in the bread aisle. Gonna head down during lunch and pillage the place tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Tesco i work in has them for €3 also. Theres about 12 boxs left. Also seen a yugioh starter set for 57c

wobbles wrote: »
    Tesco i work in has them for €3 also. Theres about 12 boxs left. Also seen a yugioh starter set for 57c

Where?

Nah man they're in the bread aisle. Gonna head down during lunch and pillage the place tomorrow.
    Oh, I see. Pretty bizarre place imo. I only checked properly in the magazines/toys section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Where?

Waterford. They are on a clearence aisle

Biggest tesco close to me is clarehall. I shall have a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭SamIAmNot

Biggest tesco close to me is clarehall. I shall have a look.

Snap!

SamIAmNot wrote: »
    Snap!

If your swords, there's a tesco express close to the airport :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

Just been in the Tesco in Kinnegad and the same Power Play and Toxic Tricks were just €1.50. Thats unbelieveable when you consider how much they normall sell for.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kzamll1992

just wondering is there gangs or clubs of pokemon players in dublin?? I know its been asked before but it hasnt been asked in 2013!!

Kzamll1992 wrote: »
    just wondering is there gangs or clubs of pokemon players in dublin?? I know its been asked before but it hasnt been asked in 2013!!

Well I wouldn't exactly call it a gang

(Meowth homies 4 Lyf yo!)

But yes the pokemon tcg league is up and running at the mo and more info can be found on the sticky at the top of this forum and on the Facebook page. (Just search "Dublin pokemon club")

i like the sound of the meowth homies!!!

thank you very much!!

also please dont hate me... but where is this "sticky" you speak of? i'm new to this whole boards thing!!

Well I wouldn't exactly call it a gang

(Meowth homies 4 Lyf yo!)

But yes the pokemon tcg league is up and running at the mo and more info can be found on the sticky at the top of this forum and on the Facebook page. (Just search "Dublin pokemon club")

Its the topic right at the top of the page :p

I'm dumb!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 RyanLoftus

Hi just decide to have a look on here, I've been playing the CG on and off for while I've made 3 decks and use them differently.
    I was wondering if there are any other CG players in or around sligo who would like to try and get a few people playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

RyanLoftus wrote: »
    Hi just decide to have a look on here, I've been playing the CG on and off for while I've made 3 decks and use them differently.
    I was wondering if there are any other CG players in or around sligo who would like to try and get a few people playing it.

There is a few people in Sligo who play the game, but no organised play, have to go to Dublin for it. If you wanted to try and set up an official league in Sligo, more power to you.

There is a few people in Sligo who play the game, but no organised play, have to go to Dublin for it. If you wanted to try and set up an official league in Sligo, more power to you.

Would you happen to know any that would be on here would really like to start somthing up even if small.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

RyanLoftus wrote: »
    Would you happen to know any that would be on here would really like to start somthing up even if small.

I know they're on the facebook group, dunno about boards though.

I know they're on the facebook group, dunno about boards though.

Thanks ill go have a look for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Anybody know of any Gen 1 only tournaments??

Advertisement