Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damselfly ID, expert required

Options
  • 12-07-2011 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hello can anybody conclusively identify these damselflies/dragonflies for me? I've been banging my head against walls trying to figure it out and can never come to any 100% certain answers, help would be greatly apreciated :D

1. A female blue tailed d I think
    5930727774_0a30a5e4e8_o.jpg

5930170191_8c4fda9b3d_o.jpg

3. Azure d ??
    5930170065_cd38ed3bb1_o.jpg

5930169735_27aa3821a9_o.jpg

5. Likely a four spotted chaser but I can't see the apparently distinctive brown spot on the wings.
    5930168161_642eda2522_o.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I'll have a go at this. Where were these taken? I assume Ireland....I got tripped up by this detail before...to learn later that photo was taken in Britain
    1. I'd like a close up view, but I'm almost sure it's not Blue-tailed. The pterostigma (the coloured cell near end of wing) is bicoloured in Blue-tailed. Pending close-up, I think it's a female Common Blue Damselfly.

2. This is a female Blue-tailed. An immature form named form rufescens

3. Yes :)

4. Female Darter species which has just emerged (Shiny wings) The tricky part is which Darter! I can't see any hint of yellow on the legs...they look totally black. This excludes Common Darter. For other reasons, it's not Black Darter, so I conclude it is Ruddy Darter

5. Agree with 4 Spotted Chaser. The spots can be seen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 leonvdn

Cheers Mothman, greatly apreciated! :D
    And yes all shots where taken in Blarney, Co.Cork (Ireland)

Advertisement