Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiagra vs 105

Options
  • 12-07-2011 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello folks,

I'm a beginner to road bikes (commuting to work in the last 2 years on a mountain bike) and would appreciate a few opinions on whether Tiagra vs 105 would really make a difference to someone like me.

I've been doing a bit of research and so I know a tiny bit about Shimano components (2300 up to Ultegra and Dura Ace in quality, tiagra/sora are 9 speed and 105, Ulegra + Dura Ace are 10 speed).

Basically I'm planning on buying a road bike mainly for fitness and I don't plan in getting into races (at least at the moment).

One of the reasons I'm asking is Im looking at a second hand Kellys IRC 3.0 2010 model that has Tiagra components whereas the 2011 version has 105 components - and wondered how much of a improvement that was. Also looking at a look 555 2008 model that has mainly 105 components with Ultegra rear derailleur. Both around the same price.

All options are appreaciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Would you notice? No
    Is it worth it? Depends on the price differential and your budget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

To be honest if its purely for leisure save your money and so got the Tiagra. Entry level Shimano are excellent components and very reliable. What you get as you go up is a touch lighter and smoother with each step.

If you're racing and serious into things look at Ultegra. If you're not and just do things for a bit of leisure then Tiagra will save you a lot of cash. Chances are at the level you describe yourself to be at you won't notice the difference between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You get an extra rear sprocket with 105. It's nice to have but not essential. It basically just means that for a given range of gears you'll have slightly smaller gaps.

e.g.
    10sp 12-25: 12,13,14,15,16,17,19,21,23,25
    9sp 12-25: 12,13,14,15,17,19,21,23,25
    8sp 12-25: 12,13,15,17,19,21,23,25

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

New Tiagra is 10 speed I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

kenmc wrote: »
    New Tiagra is 10 speed I believe

Ah, missed that.

In that case there really isn't much of a case for 105.

edit: CRC is showing the 10sp Tiagra parts in from Sept/Oct 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I have Tiagra and its reliable and cheap to replace.

You can interchange Shimano 9 and 10 speed chains and casettes with SRAM. My bike is a jack of all trades at the moment, so it gets alot of abuse and its nice to have cheaper end components to replace.

I'm on the verge of building or buying a race specific bike and will definitely opt for 10 speed, probably Ultegra.

Tiagra is gonna be 10 speed from next year. But the 9 speed won't be obsolete for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Tiagra/Sora is fine for your first decent road bike, upgrade the components as they wear out...

Doing a few A4 races with lower spec parts is fine too, if your any good then you will be passing out guys with Dura Ace/Aero Wheels/Carbon Fibre frames....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sheva

Thanks folks. 7 replies in less than a half hour is more than I was expecting.

Special tanx to Lumen for the info on how 8, 9 and 10 speed works.

Another question/opinion then so: what would be better - a newer bike (but still 2nd hand) with Tiagra vs older bike with 105 - assuming same price and qualiuty of services?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Just to throw this is there even though it has nothing to do with the OP mechanical Dura ace is to be discontinued soon and Ultegra is to go electronic,or so ive been told any way but do correct me if im wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Is this a rumor or true? The new electronic Ultegra costs more than mechanical DA
    Holyboy wrote: »
    Just to throw this is there even though it has nothing to do with the OP mechanical Dura ace is to be discontinued soon and Ultegra is to go electronic,or so ive been told any way but do correct me if im wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I'm top 15 in the National adventure race series on a bike with Shimano Sora, I use the same bike for training, racing and commuting to work.

It's not the bike it's the engine that's on it :)

On a more serious note, it depends what you want to spend and how important the "label" is to you. Having raced MTB and road years ago components on a mountain bike make a huge difference because of the abuse they get, the same can't be said for a road bikes components. This is just my own opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I'd be of the opinion that you would want to jump two levels in a groupset to notice any difference in operation. Having said that, Shimano Sora and Tiagra are fine equipment full stop. Just heavier than the lighter stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

gman2k wrote: »
    I'd be of the opinion that you would want to jump two levels in a groupset to notice any difference in operation. Having said that, Shimano Sora and Tiagra are fine equipment full stop. Just heavier than the lighter stuff!

gman is totally right, Sora and Tiagra is great, but there really is a a new kind smoothness and comfort with ultegra that's way beyond all of the others

Something I was going to say in my previous post but deleted it for some reason. For me 105 is kind of in no mans land. Thats a personal thing. For good price you can have the uber reliable Tiagra set that will last the test of time, unless you give it a thump in a crash. 105 for the additional money isn't worth it. I'd stick Tiagra and if racing or getting more serious skip 105 and go straight to ultegra. Again for me, I don't race enough to warrant Dura Ace and I don't care for image.

Put it this way. Sora (2300) is the base model with side button down shifting. I've used this for a couple of years and had no complaints. From Tiagra up the down shifting is the secondary inside level to your brake / upshift level. 105 and Tiagra shift the same way so if you're comfortable with it save money with Tiagra and only upgrade to Ultegra if you require that extra bit of silk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sheva

Thanks to evreyone for their responses. I've got plenty here to work with. When I make my purchase I'll update.

Tanx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

sheva wrote: »
    Thanks to evreyone for their responses. I've got plenty here to work with. When I make my purchase I'll update.

Tanx

Good stuff - you've decided to go Campag so! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Go 105 and you will feel better inside knowing that you have the better model.

Conversely, if you are a miserable tight-wad you will feel better inside knowing that with Tiagra you have achieved superior value for money.

Otherwise, neither you or anyone else will notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

Im in the same boat Tiagra vs 105 looking at the KTM 1000 vs KTM 2000 with full 105 set and better hubs, wheels all for only 260 extra is it worth the money?

tks

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

Went through the same agony between a cube attempt with 105 and a cube peloton with tiagra. 'settled' for the peloton at €999!! Saved meself €200 and couldn't be happier. Superb bike. Nippy, super fast and groupset is solid as a rock. You won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'm also looking at buying a bike and one thing that nobody has mentioned here is the way 105 cabling gets routed under the tape. I really like this idea and I think this is the reason I want 105, am I mad!
    Other thing is though a lot of the options I'm looking at have a bastardised set of equipment with 105 shifts, tiagra and other parts to finish. Surely it should be better to have a complete groupset?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

HI Steve what make / model you looking at with full 105s?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

tech wrote: »
    HI Steve what make / model you looking at with full 105s?

I've looked at so much at this stage. I was into the felt z85 it piss the f75. Strongly thinking of going carbon though and like the z6 but it doesn't come with 105 shifters which is what I really like. If I go with that is prob want to upgrade them.
    Actually seen dolan mythos which I liked but it had sram. I can get it custom built though with full 105 for about 1600. Would you think that would be worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Holyboy wrote: »

Where did you see that? There is no way shimano is dumping mechanical ultegra/da for a few years. Ultegra electronic is already out on oem builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I bought a bike second hand with 105 components and tbh they aint all that great! Ive had it in for 3 services and the gears are still very much outta whak. Now, granted depends on how good the services were but at least 1 I think is highly reputable and capable. Im no racer by ANY means, if I was to buy (or build) a new bike id highly consider tiagra. (Not sora because I just dont like their shift mechanism!) So what im saying is dont worry about 105 etc, if yo dont plan on major racing, theyl all shift gears in the end!

I quite like the side cable routing. Gives me something to hold onto when in trial mode...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

iregk wrote: »
    I quite like the side cable routing. Gives me something to hold onto when in trial mode...

That's gone in the latest version though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I have Tiagra and i find it great, my first road bike too. I'll upgrade soon maybe budget permitting. Probably newer wheels first mind.

For your first bike it's best to start basic that way you get the fun and satisfaction of upgrading bit by bit. As you cover more miles you can justify to yourself a bit better this and a bit better that and enjoy the self delusion that it makes any difference. It's all part of the craic.

If you start with dura ace, there's nowhere else to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It is not cost effective to upgrade a groupset bit by bit though, so you are better off trying to get the one you think you want with the bike. Upgrade things like wheels.

You also have to consider compatibility. If you go for a nine speed group you have basically no upgrade path other than ditching the whole group and getting a new one. There are also compatibility issues I believe between the older and latest generation 10 speed groups, although it may just be shifters+front derailleur and to a lesser extent the brakes.

If you can afford it, getting a 10 speed new generation group makes most sense to me.

Advertisement