Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A buddy for our little girl.

Options
  • 12-07-2011 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hi all. We have an 18 month old female shih tzu. She is brilliant with the whole family especially our 4year old son. She does act like she owns the house sometimes.:) My question is, if we were to get another dog for the house ( We live in a duplex apartment). What sort of dog would she get on with? Would we just go for another female shih tzu or would another breed be better?. Thanks
    Btw we were thinking of getting a rescue or one from the dog pound.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's generally "suck it and see" tbh. There's no "best" breed for your dog to get on with. I would tend to recommend another small dog like a Shih tzu, if only to avoid the dog being accidentally injured by a much larger dog during playtime.

That said, I know people who mix Chihuahuas with German Shepherds and don't have any problems.

If you're going down the rescue route they will encourage you to bring your dog to meet any potential new friends and you should ask them for advice on what to do with the two dogs during the first week. Sometimes two dogs just simply don't get on, so it's best to discover this early. Anecdotally people also say that bitches are more likely to fight than a dog and a bitch, but I don't know how true that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hi Barry

It really depends on each individual dog. Best bet is to let your own dog meet a few from your local rescue/pound and see if they ge on.

I am fostering a little jack russel at the minute, she gets on brilliant with my two yorkies and staffie. A friend took her for the weekend and she had a ball with her male shih tzu. If you are interested in meeting her please let me know. She's a fab dog and was in a family of 8 kids! Good with cats but not hamsters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Thanks to the both of you for the replies. I miight take you up on that tillygirl. (although I had to laugh at the bit about the hamster................):D

Advertisement