Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling routes.

Options
  • 12-07-2011 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

hey all,
    I have recently moved back to dublin and living in lucan. I was thinking about cycling to work 2-3 days a week.
    the bit thats puzzling me is the many options of the routes available. I work near beaumount which is a bit of a trek from Lucan, but the reward of incorporating exercise into my daily commute is good.
    I have 2 options in my head:

option 1:
    starting from pennyhill, go over the N4 at Woodies/Esker, down to lucan village, over the liffey, up past Laraghcon, past Westmanstown gym, take the next left and come out at Clonee, and "up that side of the M50" which is an area I don't really know, then cross the M50 around the N2 mark, into Finglas, Santry and then down the Oscar Traynor rd to the Malahide Road.

option 2: go up through the city - lucan, towards Newlands cross then taking the N7 from Newlands cross (- how the hell do i get over the red cow!) exit from the city via smithfield, and up the old swords rd, into santry and over the M1 to Malahide.
    My fitness level is pretty good so im not too worried about the distance, but id like a few opinions before i even go buying a bike!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I'd be looking at:

Malahide rd >> Griffith Ave >> Phibsboro(tesco) >> Phoenix Park >> Strawberry Beds >> Lucan.

Should take around 50mins depending..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

It's not a bad run. Use the bus lane from Lucan to the quays, out the Swords/Airport Rd to Whitehall and on to Collins Ave. Left at Grace Pk Rd and you're there. Less than 20km, with Bus lanes most of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

oh, i wasnt aware cyclists were allowed to use cycle lanes. as mainly a driver, i would usually stay out of them.
    some good routes there, must try to drive them some evening.
    cheers.

Do you mean turn off into Chapelizod and in from there, or along suicide lane on the by-pass?

oh, i wasnt aware cyclists were allowed to use cycle lanes.

wtf? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Phoenix Park >> Strawberry Beds >> Lucan.

Whats this section like at rush hour since the new N4 interchange was opened? I used to not like cycling along the strawberry beds when it was busy as it is so tight you get buzzed by passing cars and in a jam there is very little room to maneouvre a bike past.

The ramps along where the pubs are have slowed things down around there, and traffic is usually heading away from town so drivers have plenty of room to move over to the other lane when passing...

Beats going by the Suicide Bus Lane on the N4!

Advertisement