Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stunned/dying moth?

Options
  • 12-07-2011 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

so on my morning walk, i come across an elephant hawk moth ( love love love the colouring!) on the footpath, but it wasnt moving and no resistance when i moved it from path to railings of overgrown garden next to path. But plenty of indiginant leg swinging when it left my hand.

it being at 8 am in the morning i was thinking he/she was on the way out, or was it just stunned... pure curiousity

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Possibly neither.
    They are nocturnal, resting by day. It takes a lot of energy to warm up its wing muscles for flight, so usually, unless really provoked they stay still.
    A moving moth attracts predators.

Moths don't get stunned in the way a bird might. Perhaps there was an issue with it because a path would not be a typical resting place for this species

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Buddinplant

Glad to hear it, was thining it was a mighty pity if it was his last day, as he was / still is only Elephant Hawk moth i've come in contact with... have met the caterpillars.

Advertisement