Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol-related deaths

Options
  • 12-07-2011 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

The first national report on trends in alcohol-related deaths and those who were alcohol dependent shows there were 672 alcohol-related deaths during the period 2004 to 2008.
    Half of all of the alcohol-related deaths also involved another drug, mostly tranquillisers like benzodiazepines.
    Two thirds of those who died were men and most were under 50 years of age.
    Also 3,336 non-poisoning deaths of people who were alcohol-dependent were reported.
    Most of the deaths were due to medical causes, alcoholic liver disease (24%), cardiac conditions (17%) and respiratory infections (11%).
    Over a third of the deaths in the 25-34 year age group were due to alcoholic liver disease.
    Dr Suzi Lyons, senior researcher at the HRB, said many of those who died were still in the prime of their life.
    She said the rise in alcohol-related deaths was probably due to a true increase in deaths, as well as improved recording practices.
    The report says that that the per capita consumption of alcohol in Ireland is among the highest in Europe and the majority of Irish people drink in a harmful manner.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Its hard to see this trend/culture ever being reversed. It can only get worse unfortunately.

The statistics in relation to young people are particularly frightening, as they prove that, despite concerted educational efforts, alcohol abuse continues unabated. The fact is that we are facing the consequences of this irresponsibility. We owe it to those most affected by the consequences of this irresponsibility — family members and health care workers — to have a serious, intelligent and reasoned debate on this issue.

It is necessary to recognise our society’s relationship with alcohol is leading a disproportionate number across the generations to do serious damage to their health, their families and their communities.

For too long, the full implication of these effects were not being admitted or examined fully by society.

That must stop and, perhaps ironically, the first step should be a review of our licensing laws and a further liberalisation of our opening hours. The World Health Organisation has identified these as some of the measures that can lead to a more mature approach to alcohol consumption and so a reduction in alcohol-related harm. The health of our children must, at last, become the overriding consideration in this area.

Admitting as much is not the road to the puritanical Ireland where having a good party will be frowned upon — as some would have us believe — but rather an important step on the road to the truly mature society we all aspire to.

This appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Wednesday, July 13, 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

realies wrote: »
    That must stop and, perhaps ironically, the first step should be a review of our licensing laws and a further liberalisation of our opening hours. The World Health Organisation has identified these as some of the measures that can lead to a more mature approach to alcohol consumption and so a reduction in alcohol-related harm. 13, 2011

I would dispute that this would be of benefit. Our general attitude and acceptance of over indulgence in alcohol is what needs to be addressed. Absolutely every social occasion has now got a strong alcohol element to them. I was at a christening recently where the main celebration meal involved substantial quantities of wine to be drunk. Wedding... major session. Work night out... major session. GAA provincial final (friend of mine organizing a bus and a major session). Was in the shop last friday night and guy was talking to the assistant while she was serving me. She was going for a major session after work. Going to get paneled.

This is what needs to be addressed, not our opening hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Crystalset

"672 alcohol-related deaths" + how many deaths from alcohol related accidents and assaults?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

1/4 of all deaths between males 18-35 caused by alcohol, 0 caused by weed. What a messed up world we live in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

kjl wrote: »
    0 caused by weed

Really? Zero? What study says that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 How Many Users

Satanta wrote: »
    Really? Zero? What study says that?

this is a well known fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ShizDink

How about reducing the size of pub measures and giving mixers for free like in the UK. I see people here getting double shots to make the most of their overpriced coke or dividing the mixer between too shorts. In UK the drink is givin to you in a long glass with less alcohol and pre topped up with mixer so you dont have a choice. Shortening opening hours is just gonna encourage people to drink at home. Bad idea.

Imo its not the pup opening hours or there measures that have to be tackled its our whole approach to drinking alcohol,I am old enough to remember the holy hour when most pubs closed from 1 to 3 and at 10 on sundays,made no difference to us we were always well prepared,Its our attitude to drink were we think its great craic to be slaughtered and not remember anything or waking up somewhere you shouldn't,until we become more responsible drinkers it can only get worse.

Re weed it seems a bit ridiculous to have one drug which kills millions every year legal and one that does not illegal,Maybe a switch around is in order, just joking :-)

kjl wrote: »
    1/4 of all deaths between males 18-35 caused by alcohol, 0 caused by weed. What a messed up world we live in.

Except they will end up with lung/throat cancer from smoking in later life and quickly pass out the number killed by alcohol or what quality of life does a person with weed induced schizophrenia live.

Back on topic it works out at 168 people per year and due to other substances being involved in half of cases its possible alcohol only actually caused 84 deaths per year. Its not really a big number and hardly calls for major changes to society.

Things like suicide, which gets no attention need to be addressed with much greater urgency imo.

• Advertisement

•The level of drinking in Ireland is a significant influence on the suicide rate among young men
    •Alcohol‑related disorders were the third most common reason for admission to Irish psychiatric hospitals between 1996 and 2005
    •Alcohol use is often a factor in suicidal behaviour. In 2006/2007 alcohol was a factor in 41% of all cases of deliberate self-harm
    •One Irish study of people from three counties who died as a result of suicide, found that more than half had alcohol in their blood

Without getting into a league of what kills people more you will find that the abuse of alcohol has more of a contributing factor than any other drug or illness in Ireland today.

And of course suicide is a huge issue in this country and much more should be done to help people who find themselves thinking of going down that road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think it's very difficult for us to have an honest, robust and open debate on this subject, or rather, the broader issues surrounding drink. The drinks lobby will have its say and spin in its own interests, others will brand any attempts to tackle the issue as PC gone mod, nanny statism and so forth. Non-drinkers or health experts seem least likely to be listened to. Ireland's relationship with alcohol is interesting to say the least. I don't know where the answer lies - I can't see extra duties on drink working...the substance is too engrained in our culture. I'm not all that convinced that saying sponsorship of sporting events is at the heart of the problem, either. Or even that being open with teenagers and have it at mealtimes, etc is the answer.

When I was in secondary school, the big thing on a Friday was about who would be getting the drink, whilst the following Monday would be the retelling of the stories from the weekend. Peer pressure's part of the story and social lubrication, but what else? Don't we regularly top (or come close) to European drugs/alcohol surveys for the wrong reasons or are we even allowed to mention that without being accused of being PC? I'm not an all out non-drinker, just drink 5-6 times a year, wine at Christmas or such and I don't hate alcohol or people who drink regularly. We all know someone with a drink issue, but it can be easily dismissed as 'ah sure, that's Johnny, he sometimes has a few too many, leave him be'. Of course, I know it goes much further beyond that in some instances... I just find it really hard to conceptualise any clear solutions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Careful now. If we keep talking about this, we may be labelled "Dry arse auld ******" and killjoys.

Or even worse thread closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 blankname!

I was out buying my parents an anniversary card yesterday and every single card had some reference to alcohol on it. (champagne bottle, wine glasses etc) Just goes to show how interlinked alcohol is with celebration...

Advertisement