Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Seekers Allowance and Pension Credit Contributions

Options
  • 12-07-2011 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi everyone, I hope hoping someone can help me as I'm completely confused.

I'm applying for Job Seekers Allowance, having previously been a Dependent Adult on my boyfriend's claim, but he has since found a job for the next few months.

In the social welfare office I was told that as a Dependent Adult the SW continued to pay credited contributions on my behalf, but when I change over to JSA they won't.

I don't even know what these credits are, I'm 25, and haven't really thought about a pension yet to be honest. Can anyone please clarify?

Also when my boyfriend finishes up work (Sept sometime) would be best continuing with my own separate JSA or go back as a Dependent Adult? He's a student so he's getting Back to Education Allowance during the college term. I'm just worried how this will affect me in years to come regarding my pension.

On a slightly separate note, it's very annoying as the SW have no means to allow people to easily work, sign-off, sign back on etc. I was lucky enough to get a few days work here and there, and the paperwork was a nightmare, especially since we're cohabiting, we could be weeks - or months - with any source of income for the sake of me working a few days!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

As a dependent adult, you don't get any credits. however, depending on your circumstances, and when you last worked and paid an A contribution, if you have your own claim, you can get credits on that.
    If you are looking for work etc and meet all the conditions for Jobseeker's, then when your boyfriend is back claiming and in receipt of back to education, you should keep your own claim - there is no limitation applied with BTEA and JA, so you will both receive the full personal rate of €188.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 scoogie

Really?! When applying initially we were told opposite in SW. I had the JSA forms filled in, additional documents with me and everything but decided to go for Dependent Adult as we were told they would pay contributions for me as a dependent adult, whereas if I had my own claim they would not. Also they told me the payment would be the same, so we had been getting €188 for BEA and €124 for me. It'd be fantastic to get the €188 each!

Advertisement