Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

improve my balance

Options
  • 12-07-2011 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for me. I have recently made the transition from a 14.2HH pony to a 16HH horse and have found that my balance is off so my instructor has me standing while trotting, and I can't do it for long! My calves ache after a little while, is there anything non-horsey I can do to improve? At the minute, I have a lesson with the class and then a private one as well, just cant afford anymore :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Is it balance or strength you're looking to improve? The aching in your legs wouldn't be caused by lack of balance but lack of strength.

For balance, I find the best thing to do is work without reins and keeping your arms out. Whilst like this, get omeone to turn the horse randomly in different directions while you keep your legs extended and wrapped around the horse. Another way is bareback. It's uncomfortable at the start but it's a great way to improve balance and makes you rely on weight through your heel and leg.

For strength, there are several things you can do. What your instructor has you doing is good. You can also use techniques that don't involve a horse. The gym works but if you can't afford that, a chair and a strong elastic works at home. Sit on the chair with the elastic around the its leg and your leg and stretch and release. Alternatively, you can use one of those exercise balls and squeeze as though you are trying to get a stubborn horse into canter. These both will build up leg strenght and allow you to stand for longer. I find balance can come with strength so work on both .

Also patience. It takes a while to build up both strength and balance so stay with it and you'll get there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Try Riding with out Stirrups this will strengthen your legs a good bit and give you balance in the saddle even try rising trot with out them . How are you losing your balance on the Horse vs the pony ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mazzie

reading through the replies, its prob strength i need to work on, have been riding the same pony for the last few months following a bad fall off another and suppose I got used of him. I know last week it was def the height difference and once I started a canter, pulled the horse back to a trot again because I'd panic inside, this week was better canterwise but when I started the trot while standing, would fall back into the saddle again. will def work on it and thanks a mill for the replies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

mazzie wrote: »
    reading through the replies, its prob strength i need to work on, have been riding the same pony for the last few months following a bad fall off another and suppose I got used of him. I know last week it was def the height difference and once I started a canter, pulled the horse back to a trot again because I'd panic inside, this week was better canterwise but when I started the trot while standing, would fall back into the saddle again. will def work on it and thanks a mill for the replies :)

Transition from Pony to horse can be difficult but try the strength work and your overall seat on any horse should improve . Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭wosheen

Hi Mazzie

I remember going from riding a cob all the time to riding a horse over 17HH - what a difference! Your balance probably is thrown off at first anyway, as the bigger horse has a longer stride - you'd be used to having your body rhythm match that of a smaller stride, so a bigger horse would feel bouncy to you at first.

Good suggestions here already here - riding without stirrups great for getting a balanced seat, or have someone keep the horse on a lunge while you ride without reins - try this trotting in a circle.

If you're trying to stand in the stirrups while trotting and keep falling back, make sure your legs are a little bent to absorb some of the bouncing motion.

I read in a horsey magazine once that there are plenty of exercises you can also do using a large exercise ball that will help you get a secure seat.

It also might help to get a little more stretch and strength in your calves if you can stand when trotting. Try standing on a step so your toes are on the step and your heels are hanging off it. Let the weight into your heels so they sink down - feel the stretch in the back of your calf. Then slowly raise yourself onto your toes - feel your calf muscles contract. Good for both stretching and strengthening.

The way you said you "pulled" the horse from canter into trot makes me think you possibly use your arms more to slow the horse's gait, when you should try to use a combination of aids (arms, legs, seat, even voice) at the same time - perhaps more strength in your legs will help with this?? Just an observation, I could be completely wrong!!

Best of luck with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 mazzie

yeah when I was trying to slow him down would pull on the reins rather than using voice etc, just panic would come over but happy to report that had lesson number 3 on him yday and was much more comfortable on the canter, even managed to go around the arena number of times while standing when trotting (the little girl who was in the lesson managed to last the whole five mins - I didnt but delighted I lasted as long as I did!) and did a few jumps over crosspoles so am thrilled!! unfor the instructor has pony camps for next few weeks and cant fit in a private lesson so its just the regular lesson for awhile. Someone mentioned that cycling would improve the calf muscles,any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

mazzie wrote: »
    Someone mentioned that cycling would improve the calf muscles,any ideas?
    Cycling would improve calf muscles to a certain extent, yeah but you use the muscles in a different way to cycling when on a horse so although it'll help a bit, it will only help so much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Cycling 'out of the saddle' will really help strengthen your legs, as it's the equivalent of doing a rising trot (except you'll feel burn in your thighs a lot more than when riding!). :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

a few lunge lessons are a good idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

If your calves are hurting while your standing, this is more than likely to do with your boot. If your boot doesnt have a steel shank your foot will arch badly on the stirrup and this will lead to very sore legs.

As for balance. I got my balance from doing BMX tricks for ten years, but this sort of training isnt for everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

There are a lot of exercises that can help your strength and balance both. One is simple squats. Where you stand up straight, then bend your knees and squat down until you are nearly sitting on your heels, then stand up straight again. No using your hands! Pilates and yoga are useful, as they will help you learn to stretch and relax your muscles to balance, rather than trying to lock your muscles to try and stay still (doing this is usually what causes the pain, in particular the burning type).

Gymnastics are useful. If you have anywhere you can do vaulting on a horse, that's quite helpful as well (and usually much less expensive than a regular riding lesson).

Advertisement