Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Follow up on Job Intervews

Options
  • 12-07-2011 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi

I've had 3 interviews this year for various roles with high street Agencies i.e bg names in finance/office recruitment..

After the interview process I didn't hear anything from them, not even to say tough luck, for two of them I travelled a fair distance..

Is this normal procedure in Ireland?

I find it the height of rudeness

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Gilda Fortune

It is common practice in Ireland. HR Companies here are the laziest in the world.

i have had countless interviews and travlled across country for some too, and never so much as a thankyou letter. its a disgrace.
    second interviews , stupid tests and then no word. its all a racket to keep these idiots in jobs.

HR companies should make it policy to email people back asap. its so so rude and awful not knowing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

You should make it a regular occurrence to ask "When should I expect to hear from you again?" at the end of an interview.

If you don't hear anything by the specified date then wait an extra day and call the person in HR you were dealing with inquiring about the stage of the hiring process. If they say you didn't get the job, always ask for feedback.

edit: I also fully agree with Gilda above. HR in Ireland is usually a joke, not many companies do it correctly here.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

I thought it was me...jesus wept. A terrible reflection on them in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Yep, have had countless interviews and no word back from many of them, do they not realise that it is so unprofessional to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

It's worse when they outright say 'And you'll be hearing from us either way.' Why go out of your way to specify that if you're not going to follow through? Had it happen to me twice, find it really impolite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Hi, mods I hope you don't mind me bumping this, didn't want to start a new thread.

I had a PhD* interview yesterday week, the 24th of October. My friend interviewed for the same PhD and they told her everyone was being interviewed on that day. They said the usual "We'll be in touch", so far nothing. It's been over a week now. I'm surprised we haven't heard yet, seeing as all the interviews were carried out on the Monday. Should I contact them with a follow-up email? If so, what should I say?

*I know a PhD isn't exactly a job but I treat it as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,771 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I applied for a job a while back, had an interview that seemed to go very well and was asked to send in the details of my references at the end of it and that I'd hear within the next week.

So I duly called my references, sent in the details and waited... (I probably should have been wary when the receipt of references wasn't even acknowledged after them being all over me beforehand)

Anyway.. week and a day later I email the HR girl.. nada. 2 days later a generic PFO letter arrives at home.

I was disgusted.. not just because I didn't get the job, but because they couldn't even have the decency to to tell me personally so to speak.

Don't even get me started on agencies!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Folks, how rude these company's are is disgraceful.

I send off 18 e-mails just applying with my CV, and not one company has got back to me. I would like them just to acknowledge the fact I applied and not to be so ****ing rude.

I took time out of my day to put that e-mail together, it's a simple copy and paste for these company's to say thanks but no thanks.

If this recession turns around and there is an employment boom again, I swear to divine I hope these company's will be crying out for workers and no one will go near them. It's the least they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

msg11 wrote: »
    Folks, how rude these company's are is disgraceful.

I send off 18 e-mails just applying with my CV, and not one company has got back to me. I would like them just to acknowledge the fact I applied and not to be so ****ing rude.

I took time out of my day to put that e-mail together, it's a simple copy and paste for these company's to say thanks but no thanks.

If this recession turns around and there is an employment boom again, I swear to divine I hope these company's will be crying out for workers and no one will go near them. It's the least they deserve.
    I wouldnt make a fuss over getting ignored at application

Most jobs nowadays get hundreds or thousands of applications PER DAY

So it's likely they never even saw your application

But when you've been to an interview, you're probably one of TEN people shortlisted. So for a supposed 'HR professional' to simply ignore you once they've decided you won't be hired is a complete disgrace.

It's the same with feedback. Most companies claim to have a policy that means they're not allowed to give feedback, so you don't get the job, and you have no idea what areas you may need to work on. Ridiculous.

Advertisement