Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kitten peeing on my duvets

Options
  • 12-07-2011 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me out here with some tips to stop this. Little rescue kitten she's litter trained since I took her in, and never has accidents outside the box typically.

However the first day I took her she was following me around while I was cleaning the house and she went on on my duvet. Thought it was once off so didn't mind too much. She did it again yesterday! And ruined the duvet. So new duvet on bed, cat just out of litter tray comes up jumps on bed and starts to pee on the new duvet! Caught before flow began put her in her litter but she stopped soon as I picked her up so she wasn't bursting to go!

Why is she doing this. She doesn't pee anywhere else or on any other duvets just mine :-( and even the brand new one out of its wrapper! Grr. Shes so lovable I cant stay angry with her but I dont want her to keep doing this.

Any tips would be so gratefully appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

She is just putting her mark on the house. Se smells your smell from things like your bed, the laundry basket. They have a heightened sense of smell so to they smell you and think yay, I can wee here.
    Keep her out of the bedroom if possible until she's older, it's a kitten thing mostly.
    She likes you, you are hers which is why she'll pick yours. Even the new one out of the wrapper it's possible some of her scent is stil onthe bed from the first time she wee'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jurahnimoh

Stick her nose in it, i find its a good technique to house train dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Have her vet checked for cystitis. Move her litter tray to a quieter spot. Give her two litter trays, one for poos and one for wees. Use a feliway plug in to promote calm and well-being. Keep your bedroom door closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Do NOT stick her nose in it.
    But like the other poster said limit her to one room and keep her out of your bedroom untill she is a little older and firmly established in your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

jurahnimoh wrote: »

this barbarian technique doesn't work. it confuses animals. they dont understand what they've done unless caught while doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

jurahnimoh wrote: »

instead of punishing what an animal shouldnt do, it's best to encourage when they do something good and use positive reinforcement

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Thanks for all the tips people much appreciated. Kitten will be hard to refuse regarding coming into my bedroom as she will sit outside the door crying to be let in.

But she has to have ground rules so if it means keeping her out of the room so be it.
    She is due in vets next wk for her checkup and first vaccinations so i'll get vet to check for cystitus but she is quite a healthy little madam and has only done the wee on my duvet nowhere else.

I'd have noticed if she had problems doing her business i'd like to think so anyways i'm minding her like a baby ;-)
    she is my baby, took me a year to get new cat after my boy died last year so she is going to be well minded ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Are you sure you're boiling the hell out of the duvet after she goes on it? There is something like if they keep smelling their own wee in one place that they then assume that's where they are supposed to be going. Not to be casting aspersions on your housekeeping, but it might help if you make sure the duvet is cleaner than clean everytime you put it back on the bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

It was a feather duvet she went on which is bloody hard to clean as its code f in the dry cleaners. Only place dealing with that code is up north so it probably was not cleaned as efficiently as hoped.

But she did tiny tinkle on my brand new duvet when I went to put it on my bed. It seems like a territorial thing as today she is scenting everything with her face :-) little rascal you cant even be angry with her for costing you money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

My rabbit does the same, especially after I just clean the sheets! I think it's a territory thing for both our pets. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rabbitts

To get rid of traces of animal pee on duvets or on any other fabrics, soak the area in vinegar, not the brown malted stuff but the clear distilled type. Then wash as normal, or with feather duvets clean as recommended. Washing powder alone doesnt shift the animal scent.

Better to keep kittens out of the bedroom and off the beds until more settled and mature.

Advertisement