Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax exemptions for visual artists...?

Options
  • 12-07-2011 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey there :3

I'm mostly a digital artist... I have a day job at the moment but I'm thinking of branching out and just going freelance with the art.... I think it'd make me happy, even though I know it can be pretty tough :)

Just wondering about tax exemptions?

I'm a digital artist... am I entitled to any?

I was just checking out this: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/artists-exemption.html but I'm just befuddled completely....

Do I have to prove my art has a cultural significance to be free of tax? And I have to prove I sold it.... So if I do some traditional pieces and sell them in a gallery, I have to what.... provide a reciept...?

That tax page is wrecking my head!!!! any info is greatly appreciated :3 Speak in small words and short sentences please XDXD Just think of me as a child with a paint brush!! : D This will cause less confusion to my poor addled brain :3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Commerical Art [ie Graphic Design, illustration, Animation etc] is not covered by the artists tax exemption scheme.

A visual artist can claim tax exemption only on income from the sale of a piece, you can't claim tax exemption on things like VAT on equipment/materials, studio rent etc etc. You can claim some of those costs back when submitting your end of year tax forums as a freelance artist but your better to get an account to do your books at least for the first year or so if your not up to speed on the current tax system.

Currently a visual artist has to submit for each piece sold, so if you sell three pieces you have to submit forums for each piece. You can't submit one forum for all three pieces. The scheme works better for musicans and writers claiming exemption on royalites then for visual artists claiming on one off sales.

You would supply photos of the piece, along with proof of sale and a copy of your artists CV.

Advertisement