Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountainbiking for ladies

Options
  • 11-07-2011 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Just wondering if there any ladies out there who go mountainbiking? How did you get started? All I can see are lads whenever they go by and I would like to give it a try.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

If you are based in Dublin then keep an eye on the Forums for epicmtb.com and Madmtb.com

Both run some Ladies only spins at times, so would be a good way to get into Mountain biking...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

If you're based down south then you'd be welcome to join myself and my friends the next time we're hitting the trails (probably Ballyhoura). I ride like a girl and would be delighted to have someone with whom I might be able to keep up;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JinksyCat

Thanks for the replies! I'm based in Dublin and would like to go for a spin to see if I can keep up with anyone. Had a look at the MBI forum and it seems there was a ladies spin in May. Anyone know if there are any more groups of ladies I could tag along with? Cheers

JinksyCat wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies! I'm based in Dublin and would like to go for a spin to see if I can keep up with anyone. Had a look at the MBI forum and it seems there was a ladies spin in May. Anyone know if there are any more groups of ladies I could tag along with? Cheers

As mentioned, check out the likes of: http://www.madmtb.com/clubrides/

They run beginners spins which are usually mixed Ladies/gents of the same level..

Sadly there's not many Women involved in the sport, but those who race are of a good standard, so the beginners spins above would be your best way to get started.

You will need a bike in good mechanical order.
    shorts/jersey/gloves - pump/tube - water/energy bar

Would be adviseable that you could cycle up a few hills without running completely out of breath too, you will enjoy the spins more..

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

JinksyCat wrote: »
    Just wondering if there any ladies out there who go mountainbiking? How did you get started?

Hey JinksyCat

I've been mountainbiking for about 5 years and got into the sport through a club. Like the other posters have said, it is the best way of getting into the sport, learning skills and finding your way around the trails. All of the clubs are particularly open to women joining as we are trying to get more of us into mtb.

In Dublin, MadMtb, IMBRC and EpicMtb have a number of women members. I would recommend contacting these clubs and finding out when they are having future ladies spins. You could also try out on some of the social / intermediate spins with lads.

You could also go along to the Cross Country Nationals and the Downhill Nationals which are on in the next two weekends. There will be members of all the clubs there and you could have a look at what the racing scene is like.

• Advertisement

silvo wrote: »
    Cross Country Nationals and the Downhill Nationals which are on in the next two weekends. There will be members of all the clubs there and you could have a look at what the racing scene is like.

This will be a great way for Ladies and Gent's Interested in MTB'ing to see what it's all about! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

@silvo: are you racing the National DH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

My GF has recently gotten into mountain biking, she's quiet handy at it too. She's looking for people to cycle with. We'll be going to watch the downhill championships week after next. Talking to a few people there should be a good crowd.

A trip to Ballyhoura would be a good idea, you can hire the bikes there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭carrielou

Phone a friend........ I have been and loved it and thats what I done, just got a willing friend to come along.............great fun, stayed up there 4 hours the first time.......................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭LCD

Here in Cuchulainn we have a couple of ladies doing MTBing. Keep an eye on our forum or post a message to see if someone wants to go out for a beginner's ride. www.dundalkcycling.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

@silvo: are you racing the National DH?

Yep! I cant wait. Its an amazing track with great jumps and rock slabs for spectators to ooo at. Here is a headcam of the course by one of the guys in the club (EpicDH):

http://vimeo.com/25945439

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Yep! I cant wait. Its an amazing track with great jumps and rock slabs for spectators to ooo at. Here is a headcam of the course by one of the guys in the club (EpicDH):

I'd love to come watch. A few of us are racing a TT not too far the saturday. Might be a good idea to drop back when we're done.
    I am guessing Maeve Baxter will take the gold? She's prob the favourite.

Best of Luck!

@OP: If you are on your own, try the Phoenix park trails. It's fun, I've done it a few times myself. Sometimes you see another MTBer there you can try and track before they vanish away in the distance :) It's good fun when you re on you own and you're too 'shy' to try the bigger WW trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

that trail looks so fun :( a lot more flowey than some of the other irish dh tracks ive seen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

@JinksyCat, ThinkBike in Rathmines were doing beginner MTB spins earlier in the year, could be worth giving them a shout. Only went on one MTB outing with them myself; nice crew, and one of the instructors was a lady. It was Saturday mornings, and ticknock was the regular venue.

Advertisement