Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft flight simulator X laptop suggestions

Options
  • 11-07-2011 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi all, not sure if I've put this topic in the right place so apologies if it's not. So as the title day's I'm looking for a lap top that can get the best out of Microsoft flight simulator X. I had a bog standard toshiba lap top that would be ok but only if the graphics and weather would be turned down to the lowest settings. I'm not the most technical of people so don't really have a clue about system requirements and all that. I just want a lap top that will play FSX with maximum graphics but not affect game speed. I realise that a decent lap top will probably cost a few quid but if any one has any suggestions of the best cheapest lap top I'd really appreciate it. Cheers all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am not flight sim expert, but if I remember right, you will need a monster laptop for it. If you want a laptop that will play fly sims on high, then prepare to put atleast 2k on table.

There is a laptop forum in boards.ie, you will get way more help there, then here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just as a guide, I have the Sony Vaio VPCEC1S1E and according to www.canirunit.com, it's way above the recommended specs. So anything in and around those specs should be great.

500x_sony-specs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm afraid when it comes to recommended specs for MS Flightsim that means very little. It's always been badly coded and even high end hardware can struggle to achieve smooth frame rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

I tried to play the demo on my laptop and whilst its not a monster machine it met all the specs. It ran like a pig, everything turned down to the lowest setting and I was barely getting a double digit frame rate. If you want a flight sim game I would suggest going for FS2004, it's not the latest and greatest but you will save an absolute fortune since it should run really well on any half decent laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mickysquint

Cheers guys, I appreciate all the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I know you are looking for a laptop but for fsx you relly need a desktop and a good one at that it has all ways been known for this game that you ned way above what is recomended to run the game so even if you get something that meets the recomended specs it still might not run the best.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mickysquint

I know you are looking for a laptop but for fsx you relly need a desktop and a good one at that it has all ways been known for this game that you ned way above what is recomended to run the game so even if you get something that meets the recomended specs it still might not run the best.:mad:

Yeah I think your right mate. I was looking at a laptop as a space saver really but deep down I sort of knew that it's a bit of a long shot. I'm just gonna have to keep doing a bit of research on what PC will do the job without having to remortgage the house. Cheers anyway bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Yeah I think your right mate. I was looking at a laptop as a space saver really but deep down I sort of knew that it's a bit of a long shot. I'm just gonna have to keep doing a bit of research on what PC will do the job without having to remortgage the house. Cheers anyway bud.

I presume to fully enjoy flight sims you need 3 monitors? Desktop all the way so!

Advertisement