Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What laptop would you reccommend?

Options
  • 11-07-2011 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

heys :) i need to get a new laptop, something fast, durable and fairly decent memory. wouldnt do a lot of gaming on it , just some facebook games and the odd time the sims. mainly used for browsing the internet and typing documents for college and work . toshiba has been recommended by a few friends, and one also said to go for lenovo or dell , but not acer. another friend said acer is brilliant , so i wanted to hear as many opinions as possible :) thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

heys :) i need to get a new laptop, something fast, durable and fairly decent memory. wouldnt do a lot of gaming on it , just some facebook games and the odd time the sims. mainly used for browsing the internet and typing documents for college and work . toshiba has been recommended by a few friends, and one also said to go for lenovo or dell , but not acer. another friend said acer is brilliant , so i wanted to hear as many opinions as possible :) thanks

Its like cars now, all the brands are fine

Pick a budget, and pick a screen size

10 inch is too small for some people (I love it though, net, film and music on the move no prob) then there are a few at 11.6 inch, and 13.3 inch is really the max for portability and battery life.

15.6 inch is the standard laptop (but I find these difficult to lug around, but good if you aren't moving it)

Once you have your budget and screen size you want, pick a site, I recommend www.saveonlaptops.co.uk and see what they have, they are the best prices around really.. if you see one you like then check amazon.co.uk for customer reviews of it, or look online

Usually for games you need a dedicated graphics card - but for the sims you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 24 missmac1991

Thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tom_tom

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Its like cars now, all the brands are fine

Pick a budget, and pick a screen size

10 inch is too small for some people (I love it though, net, film and music on the move no prob) then there are a few at 11.6 inch, and 13.3 inch is really the max for portability and battery life.

15.6 inch is the standard laptop (but I find these difficult to lug around, but good if you aren't moving it)

Once you have your budget and screen size you want, pick a site, I recommend www.saveonlaptops.co.uk and see what they have, they are the best prices around really.. if you see one you like then check amazon.co.uk for customer reviews of it, or look online

Usually for games you need a dedicated graphics card - but for the sims you should be fine

will we get taxed if they deliver to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I'm also looking for recommendations. I have a dell precision at the moment, its nearly 5 years old and on its last legs, battery died over a year ago and the adapter is acting up now so time to move on methinks rather then bother replacing them.

This one is awkward to lug around so i'm looking for something smaller (i'll be travelling soon), but not too small, i've used dell mini and hate the tiny screen, and next sizes up start getting expensive, but there are some deals out there. It wont be used for too much, internet and typing up stuff, photos. My current one served me well with the whopper amount of college stuff and programmes i had on it but those days are over so my next one wont be enduring all that. I'm looking for the lower side of €500.

I appreciate any suggestions/recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

tom_tom wrote: »
    will we get taxed if they deliver to Ireland?

Nope, tenner delivery to Ireland and use postcode "Ireland".. they are usually fairly fast

For the other poster.. pick a screen size as above and go to the same site.. great deals there

The asus 13.3 inch for 349 sterling is amazing value, has an 8 hour batt and good reviews

• Advertisement
Advertisement