Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA boss says Kinect/Move still too imprecise

Options
  • 11-07-2011 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Normally I ignore every word that comes out of these guys' mouths (Danny Bilson, Strauss Zelnick especially), but this is interesting

EA boss John Riccitiello says he's "not a motion control guy. I like shooting something and hitting it. I like turning a corner and feeling precision. I still like my swizzle sticks and my shoulder buttons and my Xs and Os, etc."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/311031/news/ea-motion-control-is-too-imprecise/

This isn't the first time he's taken a dig at motion controls, either

http://www.psuni.com/riccitiello-movekinect-fps-games-having-to-hide-behind-your-couch-5656/

My question is; If the boss doesn't particularly love Move/Kinect, why are you pushing it into as many games as possible?

Before anyone says it, I know that EA aren't the worst. What upcoming games support Kinect? I can only think of Mass Effect and Burnout Crash. Mass Effect is just voice controls, I think? But surely he wouldn't be a massive fan of Burnout Crash here with Kinect (ignoring the fact that the whole game itself looks rubbish)

I understand that he's mainly talking about Kinect-only games i.e. we won't see an EA Kinect FPS. Still, if the boss of one of the biggest gaming companies in the world doesn't have confidence in Kinect/Move, please don't try and shoehorn it into every major future EA release :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'm looking forward to the day when technology advances to such an extent that we don't have to take to acting like epileptic jellyfish to play some games........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Child of Eden managed to be extremely accurate on Kinect

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i was newer fan of those motion controls after i got raped by wii...

just give me good old keyboard+mouse, if not, then controler.

atleast wii and ps move has physical items with buttons which can work prety well. wheres xbox shot it self in the foot by having nothing. it makes games possible only on the rails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

Problem is they are trying to shoehorn motion controls into every game rather than looking at the technology and adding it to games where its suitable. An obvious game where motion control could be good is tiger woods golf. But if it is to work then the sensors need to be accurate. Nothing more frustrating than a retarded control scheme that isn't doing what you want it to. A game like Mass effect or COD doesn't need motion controls tacked on. They don't add anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I say Bring back the powerglove

avgn.jpg?t=1241977335

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Gizmo's and gimmicks to prolong the life of the outdated console, the PS2 got similar, the Eyetoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Hmm i played the brilliant super precise Dead space with the Move and it was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Gizmo's and gimmicks to prolong the life of the outdated console, the PS2 got similar, the Eyetoy.

Aye, im not a fan of motion controls at all. I think it is just a last ditch effort ont he part of MS & Sony to steal a piece of the pie from nintendo, which is ridiculous now that nintendo are moving away from motion controls with Wii U.

In all honesty, what games have been done with motion controls that simply werent possible with a controller? Its done nothing for gaming other than open the doors for a thousand ****ty studios to make a million ****ty shovelware 'pet a virtual cat' games or some ****.

He doesn't have to like it to know that it's going to be a money-spinner.

Advertisement